Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris scripting problem with ksh88 Post 302916516 by Perderabo on Wednesday 10th of September 2014 11:14:11 AM
Old 09-10-2014
I would turn MATRICE into an array with one character per array element. Then you just pick a random index into the array. This will work with all versions of ksh and it will be very fast.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problem in for loop of shell scripting in solaris

Hi below is my script for((i=0;i<=$TOTAL;i++)) do echo "IP's created are $s1.$s2.$s3.$s4" s4=`expr $s4 + 1` done where s1,2,3,4 are input varibles below error occurs while running the script syntax error at lin 11: '(' unexpected ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: krevathi1912
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh88 - curses

I was wondering if there is anyway to use the curses library with ksh88. I saw Shell Curses function library which says I can use /usr/local/functions/shellcurses on ksh93 but I am on ksh88. I am on a HP-UX box. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh88 or ksh93

Hi all! Does anybody know how can I check if any UNIX installation has implemented ksh88 or ksh93? Thanks in advance. Néstor. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nestor
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring in ksh88 ?

Hello, ksh88 doesn't support ${var:x:y}. Any alternatives to get substring ? thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Download AT&T ksh88 ?

Hello, I need ksh88 for my linux system - and I don't want pdksh. Possible to get original ksh 88 binaries or source ? (I don't need ksh93 which is available) thanks Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

namerefs alternative for KSH88

I have to use KSH88, so going to BASH, perl etc. is not an option. Below is a much simplified verison of what I am doing (aka ignore my cut command and i not increasing) :) i=1 BIGSTRING="one two three four five six seven eight" while ]; do typeset "STRING$i=`echo $BIGSTRING| cut -d' '... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ksh88 and awk] Number of fields with a value.

Hi, With: # VALUES="one~two~~~" # echo $VALUES | awk 'BEGIN {FS="~"} {print NF}' 5 I can determine the number of fields. How to determine the number of fields with a value ? In this case 2. Thanks in advance, ejdv (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Strings in ksh88

Hi I tried the following string comparison script in Ksh88 #!/bin/ksh str1='aC' str2='ABC' if then echo "Equal" else echo "Not Equal" fi Though str1 and str2 are not equal the script output says Equal . Please correct me Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script in ksh88

Hi I tried the following code to FTP the files from test server to dev #!/bin/ksh DST=/home/files cd $DST ftp -inv 'test_serv101' << EOF quote USER test quote PASS test # File Path on test server cd /etc/home/Or_Files ascii mget curMonth* $DST quit EOF when i try the above code it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
4 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

FFT for the AMIGA through ksh88 shell.

I don't know if anyone is interested but I have been meddling with FFT for the AMIGA. (Sadly we AMIGAns don't have these luxuries through any scripting language. Below is a Python snippet that uses the builtin 'cmath' module to work with the lowly Python 2.0.1 for the AMIGA. It is part of a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
set(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    set(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
set - Read and write variables SYNOPSIS
set varName ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns the value of variable varName. If value is specified, then set the value of varName to value, creating a new variable if one does not already exist, and return its value. If varName contains an open parenthesis and ends with a close parenthesis, then it refers to an array element: the characters before the first open parenthesis are the name of the array, and the characters between the parentheses are the index within the array. Otherwise varName refers to a scalar variable. If varName includes namespace qualifiers (in the array name if it refers to an array element), or if varName is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces) but no procedure is active, varName refers to a namespace variable resolved according to the rules described under NAME RESOLUTION in the namespace manual page. If a procedure is active and varName is unqualified, then varName refers to a parameter or local variable of the procedure, unless varName was declared to resolve differently through one of the global, variable or upvar commands. EXAMPLES
Store a random number in the variable r: set r [expr {rand()}] Store a short message in an array element: set anAry(msg) "Hello, World!" Store a short message in an array element specified by a variable: set elemName "msg" set anAry($elemName) "Hello, World!" Copy a value into the variable out from a variable whose name is stored in the vbl (note that it is often easier to use arrays in practice instead of doing double-dereferencing): set in0 "small random" set in1 "large random" set vbl in[expr {rand() >= 0.5}] set out [set $vbl] SEE ALSO
expr(n), global(n), namespace(n), proc(n), trace(n), unset(n), upvar(n), variable(n) KEYWORDS
read, write, variable Tcl set(n)