Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Best way for central user managet UNIX/Linux/win? Post 302916023 by bakunin on Saturday 6th of September 2014 02:30:38 AM
Old 09-06-2014
LDAP is not a certain product, it is a protocol. The product "openLDAP" just implements this standard (like a network driver implements TCP/IP or a disk driver implements SCSI). LDAP itself is a - somewhat stripped-down - version of an even more complex and more general protocol, DAP, which itself is part of a protocol family called X.500. X.500 used the OSI-protocol stack, whereas LDAP works on TCP/IP, which is just one of the simplifications.

Historically, Novell Netware embraced X.500 and implemented DAP as the "Novell Directory Services", later called "e-Directory". Today LDAP is the most widely use application of any DAP-implementation. LDAP might look complicated at first, but in fact it is as easy as it cat get at all. Directory services in fact *is* a complicated matter and without thorough planning you will likely not just fail but end with an unmanageable system.

The question if you should use LDAP or something else is, btw., wrong in itself: a Windows "Active Directory" is nothing else than an LDAP domain securified with Kerberos, which is just lacking good administration tools. When you are planning to do an installation-wide user administration and -rights management IMHO there is no way around one of the implementations of LDAP.

The big advantage is that there are LDAP clients for practically every system: all UNIX systems that i know of, Windows (there called "Active Directory", but also native LDAP implementations), even for z/OS (IBM mainframes) and iOS (better known under its former name "AS/400") there are LDAP-clients.

So i suggest you grit your teeth and start learning LDAP and one of its implementations (openLDAP is a good one but you probably want some administrative frontend to work with it - there are several to choose from). I don't see any feasible way around it for what i have understood you are planning to do. Do not underestimate the planning effort necessary to create a manageable and workable system. It is easy to change the system as long as it is not in place, but very hard - if not impossible - to change some things once you put the system to work.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

linux and win nt working together

I was wondering if anybody knew how to make linux and win nt and a novell server integrated there will be no workstations we are trying to get the servers together now we are currently working on Novel and NT and then we want to integrate the linux server into that. We know that we need Samba but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnewbie
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

win,unix

hi, Could anyone tell me mounting windows directories in unix.I have used mount command in all directions like mounting hd00,hd1,hd2,hd3 and so on but that don't work for me Mohan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

win and linux

Hello everyone I have two disks one with win2000 and the other I´m going to install mandrake10 . There is some way when Im finished to install mandrake when Im boot the machine I can make a selection or windows or linux. When I do this in a single disk I have no problem. but In this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

4. SuSE

writing on win ntfs partition from linux

Is it possible to save a file from linux environment to a windows ntfs partition? I use SUSE 8.3 and I can access win ntfs files only as read only. I want to know whether writing is possible on win ntfs partition. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suyashkunte
2 Replies

5. Linux

trying to map win xp machines in a linux

How do I map some winxp machines on a linux machine using samba? any help will be apreciated Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raulb
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Central Configurations Management System for Linux

hi all, i am currently implementating project scope for a future enterprise solution provider in the storage area. I was hoping if anyone could help me to answer questions regarding the Central Configurations Management System in the RedHat or other linux distro. In the Unix env. , most of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: furrahs@yahoo.c
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

snmp linux win

I use snmp protocol on linux, now I have to use snmp on win, i use pc linux. I have activated the service snmp on win but I can not question him on my linux pc, you have any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fege
1 Replies

8. Linux

Favorite Synchronizers for Win & Linux

I'm looking for a new file/directory synchronizer. I've been using unison because it works on both windows and linux. However, it often chokes on the very long directory paths and file names I encounter when backing up eclipse and eclipse workspace directories. I suppose one could argue that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

9. Fedora

Partitioning harddrive for installing Linux alongside win 7.

I'm planning on using two Linux OS's alongside win 7, one being Fedora KDE 30. So to prepare for the install I partitioned my harddrive using the Minitool Partition Wizard. I have a 320 GB hdd, so I nade one partiotion about 80 GB forFedora and then left about 70 GB as unused, to later... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndersA
2 Replies
Net::LDAPI(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Net::LDAPI(3)

NAME
Net::LDAPI - use LDAP over a UNIX domain socket SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAPI; $ldapi = Net::LDAPI->new('/var/run/ldapi'); # alternate way use Net::LDAP; $ldapi = Net::LDAP->new('ldapi://'); DESCRIPTION
Communicate using the LDAP protocol to a directory server using a UNIX domain socket. This mechanism is non-standard, UNIX-specific and not widely supported. All the normal "Net::LDAP" methods can be used with a "Net::LDAPI" object; see Net::LDAP for details. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( [SOCKPATH] ) Create a new connection. SOCKPATH can optionally be specified, to specify the location of the UNIX domain socket to connect to. If SOCKPATH is not given, the environment variable "LDAPI_SOCK" is evaluated, and if that does not exist, the value "/var/run/ldapi" is used. See "new" in Net::LDAP for further details. SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, IO::Socket::UNIX BUGS
None yet. AUTHOR
Derrik Pates <dpates@dsdk12.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2003-2004, Derrik Pates and Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-06 Net::LDAPI(3)