Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extreme Beginner
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Extreme Beginner Post 302916002 by jim mcnamara on Friday 5th of September 2014 04:41:03 PM
Old 09-05-2014
Example first column of ls -l
Code:
File type: d== directory l== link
|
|
|
|
|
_
drwxrwxr-x
 ___   ___
  | ___ |
  |  |  |
  |  |  (World) other permissions  r,w,x, and -
  |  group permissions r,w,x, and -
  owner permissions: r == read, w== write, x ==execute  - == permission denied

Permission bits can also be written as octal numbers.
Code:
0 (no permission)
1 execute
2 write
3 execute + write
4 read
5 read + execute
6 read + write
7 read + write + execute

So 755 is
owner read, write, execute
group read, execute
other read, execute

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 09-05-2014 at 05:46 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Help

hi guys, i have a DEl xps laptop cor 2 duo 2.2 i have vista installed on it i want to install a dual Boot UNIX on it.. can some one guide me ...cause i m tottaly new to UNIX i want to install unix on that laptop along with Vista.... thx any help would be deeply appreciated (sorry if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan082
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Help

I need to write a script to test a nsort c program. I have written 8 .txt files with different cases. Also 8 .txt files with expected outcome. The shell I have written always "test pass" for the first case but always "fail" for the rest... Here is a portion of my code (as I still don't know how to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodeau
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner - What Should I Do First?

Hi people.... I have just started to learn unix.I want to know which version of Unix to install plus how to install it.I need to practise and make myself aware of how unix works.My thread is from an educational point of view.Also please feel free to give your suggestions as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.kanade1983
3 Replies
IBUS-DAEMON(1)							   User Commands						    IBUS-DAEMON(1)

NAME
ibus-daemon - Intelligent Input Bus for Linux / Unix OS SYNOPSIS
ibus-daemon [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Help Options: -h, --help Show help options Application Options: -d, --daemonize run ibus as background process. -s, --single do not execute panel and config module. -x, --xim execute ibus XIM server. -n, --desktop=name specify the name of desktop session. [default=gnome] -p, --panel=cmdline specify the cmdline of panel program. -c, --config=cmdline specify the cmdline of config program. -a, --address=address specify the address of ibus daemon. -r, --replace if there is an old ibus-daemon is running, it will be replaced. -t, --re-scan force to re-scan components, and re-create registry cache. -o, --timeout=timeout [default is 2000] dbus reply timeout in milliseconds. -j, --monitor-timeout=timeout [default is 0] timeout of poll changes of engines in seconds. 0 to disable it. -m, --mem-profile enable memory profile, send SIGUSR2 to print out the memory profile. -v, --verbose verbose. SEE ALSO
ibus(7) ibus-daemon 1.3.1 April 2010 IBUS-DAEMON(1)