Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Speed : awk command to count the occurrences of fields from one file present in the other file Post 302915636 by mdkm on Thursday 4th of September 2014 04:50:09 AM
Old 09-04-2014
@ SriniShoo SriniShoo
It will not be the case
that will not happen in the real time , so dont consider that scenario

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the count of records from tables present inside a file.

hi gurus, I am having a file containing a list of tables.i want to find the count of records inside thes tables. for this i have to connect into database and i have to put the count for all the tables inside another file i used the following loop once all the tablenames are inside the file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and Count Occurrences of Pattern in a File

I need to search and count the occurrences of a pattern in a file. The catch here is it's a pattern and not a word ( not necessarily delimited by spaces). For eg. if ABCD is the pattern I need to search and count, it can come in all flavors like (ABCD, ABCD), XYZ.ABCD=100, XYZ.ABCD>=500,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tektips
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Unix and Awk to count number of occurrences

Hi, I have a file (movies.sh), this file contains list of movies such as I want to redirect the movies from movies.sh to file_to_process to allow me process the file with out losing anything. I have tried Movies.sh >> file_to_process But I want to add the row number to the data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrences in awk

Hello, I have an output from GDB with many entries that looks like this 0x00007ffff7dece94 39 in dl-fini.c 0x00007ffff7dece97 39 in dl-fini.c 0x00007ffff7ab356c 50 in exit.c 0x00007ffff7aed9db in _IO_cleanup () at genops.c:1022 115 in dl-fini.c 0x00007ffff7decf7b in _dl_sort_fini (l=0x0,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikke008
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping over a file to count common fields from another file

Hi, I would like to know how can I get the number of rows in file1 that: - the 1st and 2nd field should be the same (text) - the 3rd field should be less or equal (numeric) when comparing to file2. So for each row of file1, I would like to have the number of rows in file2 that follow the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fadista
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Group By and count string occurrences

Hi Gurus, I'm scratching my head over and over and couldn't find the the right way to compose this AWK properly - PLEASE HELP :confused: Input: c,d,e,CLICK a,b,c,CLICK a,b,c,CONV c,d,e,CLICK a,b,c,CLICK a,b,c,CLICK a,b,c,CONV b,c,d,CLICK c,d,e,CLICK c,d,e,CLICK b,c,d,CONV... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Royi
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total record count of all the file present in a directory

Hi All , We need one help on the below requirement.We have multiple pipe delimited .txt file(around 100 .txt files) present on one directory.We need the total record count of all the files present in that directory without header.File format as below : ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed script to count number of occurrences and creating an average

Hi Friends , I am having one problem as stated file . Having an input CSV file as shown in the code U_TOP_LOGIC/U_HPB2/U_HBRIDGE2/i_core/i_paddr_reg_2_/Q,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk code to find difference in second file which is not present in first file .

Hi All, I want to find difference between two files and output only lines which are not present in second file .I am using awk and I am getting only the first difference but I want to get all the lines which are not present in file2 .Below is the code I am using . Please help to get the desired... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasrao
7 Replies
COMBINE(1)																COMBINE(1)

NAME
combine - combine sets of lines from two files using boolean operations SYNOPSIS
combine file1 and file2 combine file1 not file2 combine file1 or file2 combine file1 xor file2 _ file1 and file2 _ _ file1 not file2 _ _ file1 or file2 _ _ file1 xor file2 _ DESCRIPTION
combine combines the lines in two files. Depending on the boolean operation specified, the contents will be combined in different ways: and Outputs lines that are in file1 if they are also present in file2. not Outputs lines that are in file1 but not in file2. or Outputs lines that are in file1 or file2. xor Outputs lines that are in either file1 or file2, but not in both files. "-" can be specified for either file to read stdin for that file. The input files need not be sorted, and the lines are output in the order they occur in file1 (followed by the order they occur in file2 for the two "or" operations). Bear in mind that this means that the operations are not commutative; "a and b" will not necessarily be the same as "b and a". To obtain commutative behavior sort and uniq the result. Note that this program can be installed as "_" to allow for the syntactic sugar shown in the latter half of the synopsis (similar to the test/[ command). It is not currently installed as "_" by default, but you can alias it to that if you like. SEE ALSO
join(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 2006 by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Licensed under the GNU GPL. moreutils 2012-04-09 COMBINE(1)