Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to read specified value from file and echo to the same location to other file. Post 302915214 by Scrutinizer on Monday 1st of September 2014 03:22:12 PM
Old 09-01-2014
You could try this instead, which is a translation of junior-helper's "restore" bash 4 code into more universal shell code and should run in any POSIX compliant shell, including bash and ksh:

Code:
while IFS= read -r line
do
  case $line in
    (*default:*) IFS= read -r line <&3
  esac
  printf "%s\n" "$line"
done <config.json 3<def >config.json.new

# mv config.json.new config.json

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to read two file at same time and print out in single file

Need shell script to read two file at same time and print output in single file Example I have two files 1) file1.txt 2) file2.txt File1.txt contains Aaa Bbb Ccc Ddd Eee Fff File2.txt contains Zzz Yyy Xxx (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedhargouda
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read dbf file in shell script and to convert dbf file usinf shell script

Hi all, I am new to shell scripting. I have dbf file and I need to convert it into csv file. OR, can i read the fields from a .dbf file and OR seprate the records in dbf file and put into .csv or txt. Actually in the .dbf files I am getting , the numbers of fields may vary in very record and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauara
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read file location

I'm writing a bash script that reads a file location from a user, and I'm wondering how to get the script to accept tab to auto complete the directories that are input. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prodiga1
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write shelll script to read file location

hi all i have a problem how to read file location..I read file as FILE=/home/tmp/new.file.but t is not useful for me.But i want my script read file location where the file is and copy in directory at boot time. Every time of booting files are copied in respective folder.please help !!!!:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo ls to a file and then read file and selectively delete

I'm trying to write a script that will do an ls of a location, echo it into a file, and then read that file and selectively delete files/folders, so it would go something like this: cd $CLEAN_LOCN ls >>$TMP_FILE while read LINE do if LINE = $DONTDELETE skip elseif LINE =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaureenT
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to add input at certain location into a file

Hi, I am using Solaris 10 OS and trying to create shell script that can add input at certain location into a file. The input that I am trying to put is new domain name e.g @newdomain.com the file contains, more test01.out user/zzzz786@st.com/INBOX user/zzzz@po.com/INBOX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read file and check file type

Hi, I have a file with few values in it. I need script help to read file line by line and check: 1/if it's a file (with extension eg .java .css .jar etc ) or 2/if it's a file without extension and treat it as a directory and then check if the directory exists in working copy else create one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each line from input file, assign variables, and echo to output file?

I've got a file that looks like this (spaces before first entries intentional): 12345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 22345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 32345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN I want to read through the file line by line,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File transfer from UNIX to shared location using shell script

Is there any possible way transfering the file from unix to shared location using shell script. i had created the batch script to fetch the files from unix to shared location and it works fine. Due to some problem in windows unable to transfer the file to shared location automatically. can anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell Script to Read the given file contents into a merged one file

Like to have shell script to Read the given file contents into a merged one file with header of path+file name followed by file contents into a single output file. While reading and merging the file contents into a single file, Like to keep the format of the source file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)