Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add nodev for /dev/shm partition in Linux using shell script? Post 302915117 by gull04 on Monday 1st of September 2014 03:39:35 AM
Old 09-01-2014
Hi Litu1988,

If your infratructure will stand the scripting, that is the way to go - hand editing "(in thousands)" of /etc/fstab files will be a real pain.

I'd bite the bullet and work on the script if you can.

Regards

Dave

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ran out of space on /dev/root partition

hi, I have a SCO unix server which has a 36gb hard drive, but the IT company who supplied it assigned 1gb to /dev/root, 15mb to /dev/boot and 33gb to /dev/u. The /dev/root partition is now full, is there a way I can use the 33gb assigned to /dev/u without loosing any data, preferably... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Martyn
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to add aditional space on an exsisting Linux Partition..

Hi, I need to add more space to an exsisting /u partition by adding an additional physical drive, so that the additional space is added in continuation to the exsisting /u diskspace. Is it possible...if yes....how do I go about it. Thanks, Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitsayshii
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to make and mount a Partition

Hi, I need to mount a new partition in a series of Pc that have a single hard drive of 20 GB; the used and partioned space amounts to 10 GB, between root, boot and swap; the script is to make the mounting process automatic These are the contents of my script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HernandJ2
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script Partition Creation

Hello all How is it going I want Shell Patch The work of the following division of the disk Can this 200 MB EXT3 /boot 20 Gb EXT3 / 10 GB Swap End Of Space ( Linux LVM ) Found a similar script can be customized by you to be the work required #!/bin/bash VSIZE=200 fdisk /dev/hda... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x-zer0
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev/shm space in red hat linux

I am using redhat linux machine and oracle11g version. /dev/shm shows 88%. Will this be freed automatically? OR should i clean any files? >df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/systemvg-rootvol 7.6G 2.2G 5.1G 30% /... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increasing size for /dev/shm

Hello, How do I increase the size of /dev/shm ? Additional pv have been added and rootlv has been extended How can I extend /dev/shm? Best regards, Vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_db
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Hello, I have rebooted the RHEL VM but after rebooting the vm it not showing all the partition mounted on OS level, if i'll execute the fdisk -l command, then i'm able to see the same disk. below is the fdisk output : # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 107.6 GB, 107639996416 bytes 255 heads, 63... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
1 Replies
FSTAB(5)							File Formats Manual							  FSTAB(5)

NAME
fstab, mtab - list of file systems to mount, mounted file system table. SYNOPSIS
/etc/fstab /etc/mtab DESCRIPTION
/etc/fstab is a table of file system to mount at boot time, /etc/mtab is a table of currently mounted file systems as maintained by mount and umount. /etc/fstab is not read by mount as it should be. It is instead a simple shell script listing the three devices that Minix needs to oper- ate: The device names of the root file system, the temporary (scratch) file system, and the file system for /usr. Of these only the /usr file system is mounted in /etc/rc, the scratch file system is there for the system administrator to test new kernels, or as a temporary file system. /etc/mtab contains lines of four fields. The layout is: device directory type options These fields may be explained as follows: device A block special device. directory Mount point. type Either 1, or 2, indicating a V1 or V2 file system. options Either ro, or rw, indicating a read-only or read-write mounted file system. FILES
/etc/fstab Shell script naming three important file systems. /etc/mtab List of mounted file systems. SEE ALSO
printroot(8), mount(1), fsck(1), mkfs(1). BUGS
/etc/fstab is a joke. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) FSTAB(5)