Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 8 CDE Problem
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 8 CDE Problem Post 302914418 by achenle on Monday 25th of August 2014 07:24:25 PM
Old 08-25-2014
The user almost certainly picked OpenWindows during a login right about when things started going wrong. Been there, done that, though I'd always thought the CDE login was the wrong one. Of course, it's been a LONG time since I've dealt with that, so I have no idea which of the . files in the user's home directory is the important one that you need to change to set things back.

Try creating two new temp users with totally empty home directories. Log in to each one, for the initial login pick CDE for one and OpenWindows for the other. Then log out of both. Do nothing else, and the after you log out you can look for what's different in the temp user's home directories.
This User Gave Thanks to achenle For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Solaris 8, RPC, and CDE need some help.

I just installed Solaris 8 on an Intel based PC and am in the process of securing it. When I disable RPC my CDE desktop does not show up. I get my mouse cursor and a black screen. Also, anyone know how to disable SMC on Solaris 8. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beauford
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CDE problem

I created a general use account on my Sparc system. The problem is this: I did a "useradd -g general -G sysadmin -d /usr/home/sameer sameer" (after I made the directories) But it seems that no .profile or other files were written to this directory. Now what's happening is when I try to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

doubt in Solaris CDE

Hi all, I have a couple of doubts with Solaris CDE(i use 2.6) 1. Is it possible to customize my mouse pointer in the CDE environment? im wondering how i can change the mouse pointer, say to a different bitmap or something like that.? 2. Is it possible to use a jpeg as a backdrop? Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandanmv
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 CDE gone?

Help! I performed a sys-unconfig as suggested in one of the other threads to set up IP on hme0. Unfortunately after all is said and done, it no longer boots to the CDE but sits at a command prompt. Any ideas (I don't know Unix). Thanks in advance! Rob Cluett (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cluettr
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CDE in Solaris

I was wondering, if I boot up a Solaris box and the CDE does not come up by default when I log in, does that mean that the box has a GUI at all? If that is the case, where can I download CDE from? I am accustomed to RedHat and Windows, so unfortunately Solaris throws me off a little bit. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jody
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please Help with Tru64 CDE problem

When using the GUI we are unable to bring up the window for printer. We go through Applications/configuration/print this is the window that will not work all the other windows work ! Would anyone have any idea how to correct this and make the print window appear ???? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 CDE problem - The DT messaging system could not be started

A Google search with: +Solaris +"The DT messaging system could not be started" returns 138 hits. All of the relevant possible solutions are in this document. My apologies for such a long document but I thought I would try to minimize the resolution attempts that I've already tried. System... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpollard001
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris 10 install now no cde

Hi : I installed solaris 10 on a sparc machine. now I get no cde desktop and do not know how to start it? Any ideas would be appriciated. Thanks Alan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanj4
0 Replies

9. Solaris

CDE Issue In Solaris 10

Hi All, I have solaris 10 on X86 and I need to connect this through X-Manager or similar software. I have googled a lot and tried the following : root@sol10x86 # ps -ef |grep dtlogin root 1825 4718 0 13:38:50 pts/1 0:00 grep dtlogin root@sol10x86 # svcs cde-login STATE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintu_asim
2 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to migrate Solaris 10 CDE config to HP-UX CDE.

Hello, Do you guys by any chance know what is the best (if any ) way to move CDE configuration from a SOLARIS 10 machine to HP-UX? Just the config (actions, text files etc). Thanks in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary0x01
0 Replies
rhosts(5)							File Formats Manual							 rhosts(5)

Name
       rhosts - list of hosts that are logically equivalent to the local host

Syntax
       /$HOME/.rhosts

Description
       The  file  allows  a  user  who has an account on the local host to log in from a remote host without supplying a password.  It also allows
       remote copies to the local host.

If the file exists, it is located in a user's home directory.  It is not a mandatory file, however.

The format of a file entry is:
       hostname [username]
       The hostname is the name of the remote host from which the user wants to log into the local host.  The username is the user's login name on
       the remote host.  If you do not specify a user name, the user must have the same login name on both the remote and local hosts.

The  host  names  listed in the file may optionally contain the local BIND domain name.	For more information on BIND, see the Guide to the
       BIND/Hesiod Service.

If a user is logged in to and wants to log in to a host called without supplying a password, she must:

o    Have an account on

o    Create a file in her home directory on

o    Specify host1 ginger as an entry in the file.
	    If has the same login on both and she can simply specify host1 in her entry.  You can allow the superuser of a remote system to log in
	    to your system without password protection or perform a remote copy by having a file in the root ( / ) directory, but it is not recom-
	    mended.
	    In addition to having a file, the superuser needs a terminal entry in the file for each pseudoterminal configured in the system.   The
	    secure entry looks similar to the following:
	    ttyp3      none    network	       secure
	    See the reference page for more information.

Examples
       The  following is a sample file for the user It is located in her home directory on She also has accounts on the hosts called and Her login
       name on and is the same as on but her login on is

To enable to log in to from and without supplying a password, her on should contain the following entries:
       machine1
       system1	gordon
       host3

See Also
       hosts.equiv(5), ttys(5)
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

rhosts(5)