Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vim tips and tricks
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Vim tips and tricks Post 302912530 by yifangt on Saturday 9th of August 2014 05:28:24 AM
Old 08-09-2014
tabstop width

How to change Tab width in vim?
Say I have a file, columns are separated with single space (or maybe tab). I want to change space to tab (or different Tab width) so that the columns are aligned and nicely padded.
Code:
bob 100 90 30000 40 5
brian 40 30 20 10 10000
rob 10 2 30 40 50
mike 60 88 92 100 80

I tried setting different tabstop width to find the best one as :set ts=4; or :set ts=8, or :set ts=10, but tab width did not change at all in vim. What did I miss? Thanks!

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar tricks

Hello there, Is there anyway to make the tar utility print the contents of the files inside it (not list the files, but rather their contents) sequentially from the command line? What I ultimately would like to do is to have a way of printing the contents of each file in the tar archive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need couple of ksh tricks please

1) I ran myScript with 2 arguments, I meant to use 3 if I do r my, it will rerun it with the 2 arguments. is there a way I can do r my and add a third argument at the end? 2) say I did myAcript.ksh 2 5 7 8 I realise my typo. is there an easy way to redo the command replacing A with S? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Solaris tips and tricks

What do you think could we open new top topic with tips and tricks and to show to other users some tricks what do we know like dtrace , new virtual server , how to add new users etc. This is only suggestion (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed Tricks

I have a file which containd a string "old" and I need to replace all old with "new" if and only if it is a string not part of a string like Gold or fold etc. I tried with sed like below echo "old gold old" | sed 's/old/new/g' It doesn't give the desired output, It give "old Gnew new".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Basic VI tricks

I found a decent guide of VI basic tricks. This guide does expect you to have a decent understanding of VI. It does not go over very much beginner related. vi Manual (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies
XmTabList(library call) 												   XmTabList(library call)

NAME
XmTabList -- Data type for a tab list SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList DESCRIPTION
XmTabList is the data type for a tab list. A tab list consists of tab stop list entries (XmTabs). Whenever a tab component is encountered while an XmString is being rendered, the origin of the next X draw depends on the next XmTab. If a tab stop would cause text to overlap, the x position for the segment is reset to follow immediately after the end of the previous segment. Tab lists are specified in resource files with the following syntax: resource_spec: tab WHITESPACE [, WHITESPACE tab ]* The resource value string consists of one or more tabs separated by commas. Each tab identifies the value of the tab, the unit type, and whether the offset is relative or absolute. For example: tab := float [ WHITESPACE units ] float := [ sign ] [[ DIGIT]*. ]DIGIT+ sign := + where the presence or absence of sign indicates, respectively, a relative offset or an absolute offset. Note that negative tab values are not allowed. units indicates the unitType to use as described in the XmConvertUnits reference page. For example, the following specifies a tab list consisting of a one inch absolute tab followed by a one inch relative tab: *tabList: 1in, +1in For resources of type, dimension, or position, you can specify units as described in the XmNunitType resource of the XmGadget, XmManager, or XmPrimitive reference page. RELATED
Refer to the Motif Programmer's Guide for more information about tabs and tab lists. XmTabListCopy(3), XmTabListFree(3), XmTabListGet- Tab(3), XmTabListInsertTabs(3), XmTabListRemoveTabs(3), XmTabListReplacePositions(3), and XmTabListTabCount(3). XmTabList(library call)