Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX 7.1 Login Terminal
Operating Systems AIX AIX 7.1 Login Terminal Post 302912269 by sunnytai on Thursday 7th of August 2014 12:21:54 AM
Old 08-07-2014
Lightbulb

Thanks bakunin....I have the following output in /etc/inittab:
Code:
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6
l7:7:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 7
l8:8:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 8
l9:9:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 9
naudio2::boot:/usr/sbin/naudio2 > /dev/null
naudio::boot:/usr/sbin/naudio > /dev/null
rcml:2:once:/usr/ml/aix71/rc.ml > /dev/console 2>&1
rcwpars:2:once:/etc/rc.wpars > /dev/console 2>&1 # Corrals autostart
logsymp:2:once:/usr/lib/ras/logsymptom # for system dumps
perfstat:2:once:/usr/lib/perf/libperfstat_updt_dictionary >/dev/console 2>&1
diagd:2:once:/usr/lpp/diagnostics/bin/diagd >/dev/console 2>&1
artex:2:wait:/usr/sbin/artexset -q -c -R /etc/security/artex/config/master_profile.xml > /
dev/console 2>&1
cimservices:2:once:/usr/bin/startsrc -s cimsys >/dev/null 2>&1
clcomd:23456789:once:/usr/bin/startsrc -s clcomd
pconsole:2:once:/usr/bin/startsrc -s pconsole  > /dev/null 2>&1
xmdaily:2:once:/usr/bin/topasrec -L -s 300 -R 1 -r 6 -o /etc/perf/daily/ -ypersistent=1 2>
&1 >/dev/null #Start local binary recording
ctrmc:2:once:/usr/bin/startsrc -s ctrmc > /dev/console 2>&1
ha_star:h2:once:/etc/rc.ha_star >/dev/console 2>&1
vty0:2:off:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/vty0
orapw:2:wait:/etc/loadext -L /etc
dt:2:wait:/etc/rc.dt
cons:0123456789:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/console

Also I have check enable both server and client enabled the SSH Forwarding to YES. Now the AIX keeps looping between a grey background with a black X cursor and a black screen. After a several times, it shows:
Code:
* Suspending Desktop Login...
* Press [Enter] for a login prompt.

then turn it back to the loop.......Smilie I have rebooted and connect with ssh, it shows:
Code:
# ps -ef|grep dt
    root  1245298        1   0 09:41:04      -  0:00 /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon
    root  2555992  1245298   0 10:21:40      -  0:00 /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon
    root  2818478  1245298   0 10:21:40      -  0:00 /usr/lpp/X11/bin/X -cc 4 -D /usr/lib/     X11/rgb -T -force :0 -auth /var/dt/A0-m-ahia
    root  4325670  3604732   0 10:21:58  pts/0  0:00 grep dt
#

I think the CDE is running but I don't know if there are any CDE files corrupted.....Smilie (Recently I have install a vnc server and mozilla firefox, but after I restart the server, I can't have the CDE back....Smilie)

Regarding the reset root password problem, finally we will have a clean install of AIX6.1 next week....(because we only have a licensed AIX6.1 instead of 7Smilie)

---------- Post updated at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:19 PM ----------

Finally the problem solved!!!Smilie
I have do a few things:

1. Check the /etc/ssh/sshd_conf (find out that there exist 2 entries, one is X11 forwarding to No and the other one is Yes.
2. Check /etc/hosts to find out if there are any incorrect entry
3. Check /etc/dt/config/Xservers (I have uncomment it and changed to:
Code:
:0   Local local@console /usr/lpp/X11/defaults/xserverrc -T -force :0

4. Restart the server (#shutdown -r)

Finally my CDE login screen shows again!!SmilieSmilieSmilie

p.s.: In addition, I have Google a lot and find that the system locale setting will also cause errors in displaying CDE. (but not in my case, so I haven't check my settings)

Hope this post can helps!

Sunny

Last edited by sunnytai; 08-07-2014 at 03:01 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

won't allow root login from another terminal to my sun

I'm trying to log in to one of my sun boxes via EXCEED's X-terminal and it won't allow me to do so as root, says not at system console, is there a way to change that so it allows logging in as root at a remote terminal? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to allow root login from a specified terminal ?

I want to enable root login just from one terminal machine, can i do that via /etc/default/login in console=/dev/console line ? and if so what i have to type exactly, another question is it normal to edit the files inside defaults directly ? or i can copy it to /etc/ and edit it there and its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Login from X-terminal

I have a Solaris 8 system acting as a NIS slave. My /etc/nsswitch.conf file specifies passwd: files nis and in general users can login successfully. However, I have a few users who use X-terminals booted off the Solaris box and these people are unable to login unless they have entries in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrollon
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote Login in to another Terminal

hi all , i need the command for remote login in to another terminal, came accross by using "tty" command. please suggest and help me out in this. Regrds Sridhar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sridhar_dev
1 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

How to prompt for login on OSX when starting Terminal

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to log back in to unix after logging out. I have a MBPro. If I don't have the window close after exiting, then there is the phrase 'process completed' in brackets with a blinking cursor, but I can't type anything in. Is it also possible to start the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
4 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 5.3 on p275 - how to login from ANSI terminal?

I did a fresh install of AIX 5.3 on my p275. I can now boot the system from the disk and login as root, but only from the directly attached graphics console (keyboard+LCD monitor). Over on the ASCII terminal, I see all messages up to and including "Completed NFS services" but the actual login:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smithfarm
3 Replies

7. AIX

User Account Login Login on your AIX server

I want to learn AIX. I would like to find someone who would be willing to give me a login to their AIX home lab server. My intent is to poke around and discover the similarities and differences of AIX compared to other *NIXs. I am a UNIX admin so I can think of what some immediate concerns may... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_in_my_shel
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resizing Terminal Size Upon Login?

Hello All, PC: CuBox-i OS: OpenSuSE 13.1 uname: Linux CuBox 3.14.14-cubox-i #1 SMP Sat Sep 13 03:48:24 UTC 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux Shell: Bash So I was trying to see if there was a way to resize the terminal dynamically upon logging into a remote PC. How I login now is to use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

9. AIX

Not able to login AIX server but able to login thru console.

Hi, i am able to login to AX server thru console but not able to login directly thru server. also the server is not ping-able with other server. filesystem is fine. and OS version is AIX 5.3. please let me know if you need any specific log. thx in advance. Scriptor (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to login in ssh terminal

Hi guys when ever i tried to connect aix server in my institute through ssh terminal the pop is coming like network is unreachable .Am using MacBook air the other guys who are using putty software in windows they can easily login in tho the server through remotely . Is there any one can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aashishb007
3 Replies