Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX NIM master with multiple client subnets Post 302911948 by kaelu26 on Monday 4th of August 2014 08:55:07 PM
Old 08-04-2014
Yup, that was a typo.
Quote:
Well, first off, the network IDs have to be unique, i. e. "subnet_1", "subnet_2", etc.. I suppose that was only a typo on your part.
Thanks. I thought it is necessary.
Quote:
To answer your question: yes, you will have to create separate NIM-networks for this. No, you won't have to configure 3 IP-aliases for your master.
Is this something that I need to check with our network team? We currently have 4 different subnets in our AIX lpars and they can talk to each other normally.
Quote:
The reason for this is: NIM operates using NFS (for "normal" package installations), bootp (for mksysb-installs) and tftp. All these protocols have to be - obviously - allowed by all the firewalls you might have in between your NIM-server and the prospective clients
Thanks for your help Bakunin.

P.S. Just joined the forums again after years of rest. I'm still trying to get the hang of using it properly.

- kaelu

---------- Post updated at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmtech
Just to add to bakunin's comments

When you are in sms menu for client (IPL where you configure the IP, Master IP subnet and gateway), say for IP 10.30.1.21 you will use the gateway of that client ex:10.30.1.1 and NOT the NIM gateway ex:10.20.1.1. Same goes with 10.40.1.X subnet.
Thanks ibmtech. Will remember this, I think I had issue regarding this when I'm trying to restore our VIO server via NIM.

Last edited by kaelu26; 08-04-2014 at 10:06 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Nim Master Problem

All, I'm testing NIM on a 7026-m80 machine. But everytime i want to setup the master, i get this error message... Anyone who knows how to solve this issue? google doesn't seem to know much about it # nim_master_setup ############################## NIM master setup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kvanelshocht
1 Replies

2. AIX

nim master

Hi, I want to know what are steps required to create nim master in aix? Regards, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

3. AIX

nim master

Hi, I want to know how to create nim master in AIX 5.3. Regards, Manoj (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

4. AIX

NIM master-client connectivity issue

Hello All, I believe my NIM master is fine. lsnim and cat /etc/niminfo gives me the right output. While doing "lsnim" on a client machine, I get ksh:lsnim:"not found". Please someone be nice enough to explain what are the steps to verify the master and client connectivity to do all the NIM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
3 Replies

5. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

6. AIX

NIM Master as Mgmt Server

Guys, I need your help I got a requirement from a cUstomer asking for a specific design He wants to use the NIM Master as one single mgmt server and access the nodes maintained by it there by the accounting is in one single server for all the nodes Note:- Direct login to the nodes will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
3 Replies

7. AIX

NIM : remove nim client info from the client

Hi. I change my client's IP and hostname but I forgot to change anything on the master. How can I redefine or modify my client's resource from my master, or with using smit niminit from my client ? Tks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephnane
2 Replies

8. AIX

Nim client with different subnet to Master

Iam attempting to add a client to NIM however the new client has a different subnet than master 10... & 193... , I've established from redbooks that it should be possible but can't find anything that states how? Does anyone use nim in this way? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
5 Replies

9. AIX

NIM Master hostname

hi Admins, How can I check the NIM master hostname/IP name from NIM client ? I don't see any option that I can try with nimclient command. Let me know.. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies

10. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)