Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Multi-table iptables Question Post 302911816 by knightfirefx on Sunday 3rd of August 2014 03:18:29 PM
Old 08-03-2014
Multi-table iptables Question

I have a question regarding IPTables packet flow, that I am hoping I can get an answer to.

We have a fairly advanced implementation of IPTables that I am trying to convert into a third party product and I am not quite certain on the packet flow in the current IPTables implementation.

We are using Mangle, NAT and Filter tables - and my question is this:

We have a PREROUTING chain defined in Mangle AND NAT tables. If a rule is matched with a -j of ACCEPT in the Mangle PREROUTING chain, does the packet still flow to the NAT PREROUTING chain? Or does it just go to the FORWARD chain and skip any other PREROUTING chains in other tables?

That is the missing piece of logic in my head and I would love to have that answered, thank you.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multi-network question

Hi, I have a linux machine connected to 2 networks, with devices eth0 and eth1. When I give the command host whatever, how do I now which network is searched for the DNS's ? Is there a default ethernet device for network related commands ? How do I change it ? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mik
2 Replies

2. Programming

Question About Multi-Processed Applications... fork()

Assume we have an application built on *nix that uses fork()...then the processes procedure is going to act as follow: X is considered a parent process (first click on application) Y is considered a child process of X (second click on application) Z is considered a child process of Y (third... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

routing table question

I have below routing table in linux kernel 2.6.9 # netstat -rn Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface 10.155.24.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.252.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

DHCP Server on Vxworks multi interface question

Hi, We currently operate a DHCP Server on Vxworks system. It seems that the server is functioning only over the boot interface. While trying to use it on a different interface the DHCP client messages seems to reach the interface but stay without response. From a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zohara
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[SOLVED] No INPUT chain on nat table in iptables

Hello, I'm having problem with an iptables rule. It seems that on one of two systems on the nat table, the INPUT chain doesn't exist for some strange reason. I get the error below: # iptables -t nat -A INPUT -j ACCEPT iptables: No chain/target/match by that name. Here is my kernel on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substract selective values in multi row, multi column file (using awk or sed?)

Hi, I have a problem where I need to make this input: nameRow1a,text1a,text2a,floatValue1a,FloatValue2a,...,floatValue140a nameRow1b,text1b,text2b,floatValue1b,FloatValue2b,...,floatValue140b look like this output: nameRow1a,text1b,text2a,(floatValue1a - floatValue1b),(floatValue2a -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nricardo
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xml multi parse question

awk -F "" '/<Id>|<id>|<Source>|<source>|<Accession>|<accession>|<TestName>|<testname>/ {print $2, $3}' OFS='\t' Test.xml The above code works great, but lets say I wanted the <Analyte> name (<Name>STAT3). The word <name> is unique so there will be multiple records pulled. Is there a way to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

8. Programming

Multi head/multi window hello world

I am trying to write a large X app. I have successfully modified my xorg.conf to setup 4 monitors on an NVIDIA Quatro5200. I am trying to modify a simple hello world application to open a window on three of the four monitors. depending on the changes to loop the window creation section and event... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: advorak
2 Replies
IPTables::Parse(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      IPTables::Parse(3pm)

NAME
IPTables::Parse - Perl extension for parsing iptables and ip6tables policies SYNOPSIS
use IPTables::Parse; my $ipt_bin = '/sbin/iptables'; # can set this to /sbin/ip6tables my %opts = ( 'iptables' => $ipt_bin, 'iptout' => '/tmp/iptables.out', 'ipterr' => '/tmp/iptables.err', 'debug' => 0, 'verbose' => 0 ); my $ipt_obj = new IPTables::Parse(%opts) or die "[*] Could not acquire IPTables::Parse object"; my $rv = 0; my $table = 'filter'; my $chain = 'INPUT'; my ($ipt_hr, $rv) = $ipt_obj->default_drop($table, $chain); if ($rv) { if (defined $ipt_hr->{'all'}) { print "The INPUT chain has a default DROP rule for all protocols. "; } else { for my $proto (qw/tcp udp icmp/) { if (defined $ipt_hr->{$proto}) { print "The INPUT chain drops $proto by default. "; } } } } else { print "[-] Could not parse $ipt_obj->{'_ipt_bin_name'} policy "; } ($ipt_hr, $rv) = $ipt_obj->default_log($table, $chain); if ($rv) { if (defined $ipt_hr->{'all'}) { print "The INPUT chain has a default LOG rule for all protocols. "; } else { for my $proto (qw/tcp udp icmp/) { if (defined $ipt_hr->{$proto}) { print "The INPUT chain logs $proto by default. "; } } } } else { print "[-] Could not parse $ipt_obj->{'_ipt_bin_name'} policy "; } DESCRIPTION
The "IPTables::Parse" package provides an interface to parse iptables or ip6tables rules on Linux systems through the direct execution of iptables/ip6tables commands, or from parsing a file that contains an iptables/ip6tables policy listing. You can get the current policy applied to a table/chain, look for a specific user-defined chain, check for a default DROP policy, or determing whether or not logging rules exist. FUNCTIONS
The IPTables::Parse extension provides an object interface to the following functions: chain_policy($table, $chain) This function returns the policy (e.g. 'DROP', 'ACCEPT', etc.) for the specified table and chain: print "INPUT policy: ", $ipt_obj->chain_policy('filter', 'INPUT'), " "; chain_rules($table, $chain) This function parses the specified chain and table and returns an array reference for all rules in the chain. Each element in the array reference is a hash with the following keys (that contain values depending on the rule): "src", "dst", "protocol", "s_port", "d_port", "target", "packets", "bytes", "intf_in", "intf_out", "to_ip", "to_port", "state", "raw", and "extended". The "extended" element contains the rule output past the protocol information, and the "raw" element contains the complete rule itself as reported by iptables or ip6tables. default_drop($table, $chain) This function parses the running iptables or ip6tables policy in order to determine if the specified chain contains a default DROP rule. Two values are returned, a hash reference whose keys are the protocols that are dropped by default if a global ACCEPT rule has not accepted matching packets first, along with a return value that tells the caller if parsing the iptables or ip6tables policy was successful. Note that if all protocols are dropped by default, then the hash key 'all' will be defined. ($ipt_hr, $rv) = $ipt_obj->default_drop('filter', 'INPUT'); default_log($table, $chain) This function parses the running iptables or ip6tables policy in order to determine if the specified chain contains a default LOG rule. Two values are returned, a hash reference whose keys are the protocols that are logged by default if a global ACCEPT rule has not accepted matching packets first, along with a return value that tells the caller if parsing the iptables or ip6tables policy was successful. Note that if all protocols are logged by default, then the hash key 'all' will be defined. An example invocation is: ($ipt_hr, $rv) = $ipt_obj->default_log('filter', 'INPUT'); AUTHOR
Michael Rash, <mbr@cipherdyne.org> SEE ALSO
The IPTables::Parse is used by the IPTables::ChainMgr extension in support of the psad and fwsnort projects to parse iptables or ip6tables policies (see the psad(8), and fwsnort(8) man pages). As always, the iptables(8) and ip6tables(8) man pages provide the best information on command line execution and theory behind iptables and ip6tables. Although there is no mailing that is devoted specifically to the IPTables::Parse extension, questions about the extension will be answered on the following lists: The psad mailing list: http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/psad-discuss The fwsnort mailing list: http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fwsnort-discuss The latest version of the IPTables::Parse extension can be found on CPAN and also here: http://www.cipherdyne.org/modules/ Source control is provided by git: http://www.cipherdyne.org/git/IPTables-Parse.git http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=IPTables-Parse.git;a=summary CREDITS
Thanks to the following people: Franck Joncourt <franck.mail@dthconnex.com> Grant Ferley AUTHOR
The IPTables::Parse extension was written by Michael Rash <mbr@cipherdyne.org> to support the psad and fwsnort projects. Please send email to this address if there are any questions, comments, or bug reports. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005-2012 Michael Rash. All rights reserved. This module is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0. More information can be found here: http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html This program is distributed "as is" in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-05 IPTables::Parse(3pm)