Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tip: alternative for NR==FNR in awk Post 302911558 by Corona688 on Friday 1st of August 2014 11:16:36 AM
Old 08-01-2014
I get the impression that's why that feature exists, so you can process different files with their own default values of some sort.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: different between NR and FNR

As I know: FNR: The ordinal number of the current record in the current file. NR: The ordinal number of the current record from the start of input. I don't understand really differency between NR and FNR. Who can explain it for me? And give me an example. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anhtt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk NR==FNR compare 2 files produce a 3rd

hi, i have two files, both with 3 columns, the 3rd column has common values between the two files and i want to produce a 3rd file with 4 columns. file 1 a, ,b c file 2 a, b ,d I want to compare the 3rd value and if a match print to file 3 with the 3 columns from the first file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Column print after lookup using NR==FNR (awk)

foo.txt FAMID IID AFF SEX Group AgeCat Dis1 Dis2 Dis3 Dis4 Dis5 Dis6 Dis6 AMD0001 Mayo_49542 1 2 AMD 8 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 AMD0002 Mayo_49606 1 1 AMD 3 1 1 1 1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk NR==FNR output control

Hi Guys, I have two files: f1: A B C D E F G H f2: A X Y Z f1 has 48000 lines, and f2 has 68. I have been matching f1 $3 to f2 $1, and getting f3: A A B C D E F G I would like f3 too look like this: A X Y Z A B C D E F G (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heecha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk FNR==NR question

awk -F'' 'FNR==NR {a=$2; next} {$1=a} 1' $useralias ${entries} >> ${entries}_2 Hi, Is there anyway to alter this command so that if it does not find a match it will just leave the line alone instead of replacing what it doesn't find with a blank space? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick awk tip :)

how do i "awk" the date after the from only to compare it on a if statement later . filename example: server1-ips-ultranoob-ok_From_2012_21_12-23:40:23_To_2012_21_12-23:49:45.zip what i want o do is compare only the date from the string in "From_2012_21_12" in this case i only want the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd0spt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Alternative for NR==FNR

Hi, I have an issue with the below script nawk 'NR==FNR{a=$4" "$5}NR>FNR{print NF?$0:a"\n";if(/^cn:/) x=$0}' FS="" in1.txt in2.txt > out1.txt It is taking too long to get a string from in1.text, search for the string in in2.txt and create a new file out1.txt. Is there any alternative way we... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Samingla
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk --> selective printout with FNR

Hi everybody! need some awk-support. i want a line-selective printout of a file. wat i normally will do with ... awk ' FNR==8' sample.txt But now i need the data from line 8, 10 and the following data from line13 to 250 wich is not end of the file. I tried allready to combine it but without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation of FNR in this awk script

To merge mutiple *.tab files as: file1.tab rs1 A A rs2 A A rs3 C C rs4 C Cfile2.ind rs1 T T rs2 T T rs3 G G rs4 G Gand file3.tab rs1 B B rs2 B B rs3 L L rs4 L LOutput: file1.tab file2.tab file3.tab AA TT BB AA TT BB CC GG LL CC GG ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Assigning a variable to be the value of FNR at a certain line

Sorry for the probably strangely worded title but I don't really know how else to put it. Background context: Post processing LAMMPS simulation data. tl;dr: I'm making two spheres collide, every defined timestep the simulation outputs a bunch of data including total energy of the particles,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThomasP
10 Replies
readahead(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      readahead(8)

NAME
readahead - file preloader for boot process optimization SYNOPSIS
readahead [options] <file-list> [another-file-list [...]] DESCRIPTION
readahead is a files preloader designed to optimize the disk I/O during the boot process. OPTIONS
-b, --build build optimised files list only, without sorting. -s, --sort build and sort list of files only (implies -b). -o, --output <file> write sorted list of files to file. -d, --dont-sort preload files described by an already sorted files list. -h, --help print the usage information. -v, --verbose enable the verbose mode. -t, --timing report time spent on each operation. -m, --maxsize <max size> maximum size in KiB a file can be in order to be preloaded, default is 10240. <file-list> [another-file-list [...]] One or more files containing the list of files to be preloaded or sorted. The files list can be generated by readahead-collector(8). FILES
/etc/default/readahead-fedora SEE ALSO
readahead-collector(8), readahead(2), AUTHORS
Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>, Ziga Mahkovec <ziga.mahkovec@klika.si>, Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>, This manual page was written by Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> July 2011 readahead(8)