Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is UNIX an open source OS ?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is UNIX an open source OS ? Post 302910443 by bakunin on Thursday 24th of July 2014 01:26:02 PM
Old 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreyan32
Are you saying that for example I have a piece of source code like -:
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
main()
{
printf("Hello World"\n");
}

And I compile it on a SCO UNIX machine and take the executable to Solaris Machine the executable won't run. Are you saying that I would need the source of the hello world program and then I would have to build it back on the Solaris Machine ?
Like Corona688 already said: yes, precisely. The compatibility of UNIX is defined as the guarantee that you can compile the same source code on different systems with the same outcome. For instance, this means that regardless of how your terminal is constructed (in terms of real hardware) you can expect "printf()" to do the same/analogous on every one of them. You can look "printf()" up somewhere in the POSIX standard and will find a detailed "printf() is required to do X in case of Y, return A in case of B, ...".

Notice that this standard just describes what has to come out, not how this outcome is realized! This is why UNIX (and Unix.like systems) run on everything from small embedded systems in your washing machine over cell phones (Android is just a customized Linux kernel), most WLAN routers, NAS appliances to real big irons like the IBM p795. We have about a dozen p780s in our data centers, most of them 4TB of memory and 128 processors. They run dozens of LPARs each. Compare this, along with some 50-60 PCI busses in each I/O subsystem (each system can have up to 4 of them), with your typical PC-compatible server Windows runs on. In addition we have some z/Linux systems running on the mainframe, Linux on all sorts of hardware, a few Sun servers running Solaris (another Unix), etc., etc..

Quote:
I am sorry but could you elaborate what you mean by this. The kernel is at the end responsible for how software interacts with hardware, so it kinda does everything.
Yes, exactly. It is not only a kernel but also a standard library, which executes all the system calls in a standardized way. If you never have to execute interactive commands but only a fixed program you do not need all the utilities that come with a OS usually and which do things like create users, files, and so on. Most embeded systems are constructed this way: a Linux kernel, the standard library, the one program it is supposed to run and from the kernel and the library stripped everything not necessary to run that one program. Take apart your home WLAN router, telephone or similar device and you might probably find exactly this, burned into an EPROM.

Quote:
How do I contact someone like Don Cragun ? I am not saying that your answers were wrong or insufficient in any way but if I wanted to contact him then how would I do it ? By private message ?
For instance. He does not bite (well, not when the moon is not full, anyways) as he is a very friendly guy and by far the best expert in UNIX standards issues we have here you can ask him if you need to know details we can't provide. He won't answer via PM (because this would not contribute to the knowledge base we are building here), but he might write something into this thread.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need open source KB software for UNIX

Anyone know of a good open source Knowledge Base software for UNIX that can connect to an Oracle back end? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ45
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open-source projects to learn concurrency-managed network programming in Unix?

Hi, I am a mid-career programmer with extensive experience in object-oriented design and development in C, C++, and C#. I've written a number of multi-threaded server applications and background services, although my grasp of networking protocols is a bit weak: my current job drifted away from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTaoOfPhil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX/Linux inventory - Open Source

Hello guys, I need an open source tool that can list all the softwares installed in my unix/linux servers, the tool should list all the softwares installed and the current version, grouped by the hostname, anybody know any solution for this specific problem? Thanks guys, have a good day! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisloide
7 Replies