Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is UNIX an open source OS ?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is UNIX an open source OS ? Post 302910408 by sreyan32 on Thursday 24th of July 2014 08:52:35 AM
Old 07-24-2014
Okay first of a great many thanks for taking the time out to give me such a detailed explanation. I could'nt have got better. But I have a couple of questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
Windows: once you get it compiled, the compiled binary will run on every system and do the same.

Unix: once you get it compiled you can compile the same source on every Unix system and the produced binary will do the same in any system.

Therefore "reverse engineering" was not necessary. A software compiled for, say, SCO Unix on PC, will not run on Linux for PCs, but the same source can be compiled for any UNIX and each resulting binary is expected to do the same. (Again: this is the theory. I spare you the gory details so that your nights sleep is undisturbed.)
Are you saying that for example I have a piece of source code like -:
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
main()
{
printf("Hello World"\n");
}

And I compile it on a SCO UNIX machine and take the executable to Solaris Machine the executable won't run. Are you saying that I would need the source of the hello world program and then I would have to build it back on the Solaris Machine ?

Quote:
The kernel of an OS does not do everything itself, but it sets every design decision as a given. Therefore, in fact, the kernel IS the OS.
I am sorry but could you elaborate what you mean by this. The kernel is at the end responsible for how software interacts with hardware, so it kinda does everything.

One last question it may be off-topic. You said -:
Quote:
ask our revered local Master of Standards, Don Cragun and be prepared for the highest quality information on this issue you will ever get.
How do I contact someone like Don Cragun ? I am not saying that your answers were wrong or insufficient in any way but if I wanted to contact him then how would I do it ? By private message ?

Quote:
I hope this helps.
Yes it did immensely.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need open source KB software for UNIX

Anyone know of a good open source Knowledge Base software for UNIX that can connect to an Oracle back end? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ45
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Open-source projects to learn concurrency-managed network programming in Unix?

Hi, I am a mid-career programmer with extensive experience in object-oriented design and development in C, C++, and C#. I've written a number of multi-threaded server applications and background services, although my grasp of networking protocols is a bit weak: my current job drifted away from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTaoOfPhil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX/Linux inventory - Open Source

Hello guys, I need an open source tool that can list all the softwares installed in my unix/linux servers, the tool should list all the softwares installed and the current version, grouped by the hostname, anybody know any solution for this specific problem? Thanks guys, have a good day! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisloide
7 Replies