Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Taking inputs for awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Taking inputs for awk Post 302908593 by sam_bd on Wednesday 9th of July 2014 03:28:58 AM
Old 07-09-2014
Taking inputs for awk

Hi, i want to print 2nd column value with the below script. I need to take input of the string i need to search in that file and file name. How can i take these two as inputs? using read command? Getting error for below script.

echo "enter SID"
read SID
echo "enter filename"
read filename
awk -F ";" /'$SID'/ { print $2 } '$filename'
exit 0

Requesting Help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash/AWK Newbie taking on more than he can chew.

A few questions: I'm trying to use Bash (although I'm not against using AWK) to try to accomplish a few things, but I'm stumped on a few points. I'm learning most of the basics quickly: but there are a few things I can't figure out. 1. I'm trying to count the number of .txt files in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asylus
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script for taking inputs from one script and storing them into a document.

Hi. I wanted to create a Perl script which can take the outputs of a Perl script as it's input and temporarily store them in a document. Need help. Thanks.:) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtatic
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

taking the output of awk command to a new file

cat doc | nawk -v da="${date}" '$23>199 {print $0 > "doc"+da+".txt"}' Every time(need to run every day) i run this, i want to a create a new file "doc_01 Aug.txt". Basically, i want to create a new file with date appended in it. The above command is creating a file with name "0".... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vagar11
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Give inputs externally to awk script

Hello to all, Please some awk expert could help me. If I want to run an awk script as "command" give it inputs externally I do: Script.sh Input="$1" # "$1" is the input that will be given to the script Output=${Input%.*}.csv awk '{$1=$1}1' $Input | awk '{...}' > $Output and I run the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk solution for taking bins

Hi all, I'm looking for an awk solution for taking bins of data set. For example, if I have two columns of data that I wish to use for a scatter plot, and it contains 5 million lines, how can I take averages of every 100 points, 1000, 10000 etc... The idea is to take bins of the 5,000,000 points... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking inputs on prompt

need a help to get a script: bash # ./xx.sh >> count 567 script will run the xx.sh and it will go to >> then run "count" will get the result "567" and print it (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get the correct ans. Using awk in taking average

Hi all, I think so I’m getting the result is wrong, while using following awk commend, colval=$(awk 'FNR>1 && NR==FNR{a=$4;next;} FNR>1 {a+=$4; print $2"\t"a/3}' filename_f.tsv filename_f2.tsv filename_f3.tsv) echo $colval >> Result.tsv it’s doing the condition 2 times, first result... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command line arguments not taking

# more minusf.awk #!/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS=":"; } { if ( $2 == "" ) { print $1 ": no password!"; } } # ./minusf.awk aa aa aa aa awk: can't open aa (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sri.phani
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Unknown Number of User Inputs in awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I am trying to figure out how to print an output based on user input. For example: ubuntu:~/scripts$ steps="step1, step2, step3" ubuntu:~/scripts$ echo $steps step1, step2, step3 I am playing around and I got this pattern that I want: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking nth column and putting its value in n+1 column using awk

Hello Members, Need your expert opinion how to tackle below. I have an input file that looks like below: USS|AWCC|AFGAW|93|70 USSAA|Roshan TDCA|AFGTD|93|72,79 ALB|Vodafone|ALBVF|355|69 ALGEE|Wataniya (Nedjma)|DZAWT|213|50,550 I like output file in below format: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsatti
7 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)