Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can't Log into Solaris 10 u10 due to Pam and DH errors Post 302907530 by hicksd8 on Sunday 29th of June 2014 01:04:49 PM
Old 06-29-2014
Hi Ahmed,

So you can't login as root even directly on the console (without SSH)!!!!

Have you, or someone else, edited /etc/passwd and/or /etc/shadow directly recently?

If so, display them to your screen and check very carefully the formatting.

For example, the root account information must be on the very first line. Just inserting a blank line at the beginning of /etc/passwd will screw up all logins.

Before we suggest anything else, do these files look alright?
All the fields in them correctly delimited, etc.

---------- Post updated at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:23 PM ----------

Please post the content of:

Code:

/etc/pam.conf

/etc/security/policy.conf

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Not able to compile Pro*c file due - give errors and points to /usr/include/.. file

I am trying to compile the pro*C file but gives errors. It says it encountered "std" while it was expecting ; , = ( $ $ORACLE_HOME/bin/proc tradewind/dataaccess/Blob.pcc Pro*C/C++: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Fri May 9 11:10:54 2008 Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
0 Replies

2. Solaris

PAM, Solaris, Openssh and Forcing a password change

Here's the issue. Currently when I run passwd -f "username" on any account, when I try to login with said account I don't get prompted to change my password I just keep getting prompted to input a password. (Of course this works just fine with telnet)Is there something i need to add to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 8 PAM question

How do we know if PAM is turned on? I think that there is no process or anything that we can check for. Anyway to ensure that rather than doing a configuration and "physical" testing on a machine? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
5 Replies

4. Solaris

SSH and PAM authentication issues on Solaris 10

This is a zone running Solaris 10u8 on a 6320 blade. The global zone is also running 10u8. One my users is attempting to change his password and getting a following screen: $ ssh remotesys Password: Warning: Your password has expired, please change it now. New Password: Re-enter new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris and PAM Password policy

Hello All, I have Sun DSEE7 (11g) on Solaris 10. I have run idsconfig and initialized ldap client with profile created using idsconfig. My ldap authentication works. Here is my pam.conf # Authentication management # # login service (explicit because of pam_dial_auth) # login ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandu345
3 Replies

6. SuSE

PAM password change failed, pam error 20

Hi, I use a software which can create account on many system or application. One of resource which is managed by this soft his a server SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64). patch level 3. This application which is an IBM application use ssh to launch command to create account in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scabarrus
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris U10 - Crash OS

Hello, I an triyng to write an emergency procedure, and I need your help, or point of view. I trying to find a way to get connected to an U10 Sun Solaris by the serial port to be able to get access to the system to debug systeme crash before restarting the server. The SUN U10 does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

What is solution for this error "tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors"?

Does anyone know what is solution for this error ?tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors from last 3 days I am trying to take backup of home/user directory getting again and again same error please anyone give me solution (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies

9. Solaris

How to recover x86 Solaris 10 u10 boot record/grub menu overwritten by Debian 9?

I installed x86 Solaris 10 update 10 after Windows XP, later I removed xp and installed Debian 9 stretch on the same partition but, Debian couldn't find any other os so it deleted Solaris 10 grub or did something like that I couldn't got. I thought I would be able to recover the lost record by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)