Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep pattern and display all lines below Post 302906104 by Akshay Hegde on Tuesday 17th of June 2014 06:59:40 AM
Old 06-17-2014
Code:
$ awk 'f; !f{f=/file3/}' <<EOF
file1
file2
file3
file4
file5
EOF

file4
file5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and display n lines after the match is found.

Hello, How do I use grep to find a pattern in a list of file and then display 5 lines after the pattern is matched Eg: I want to match the string GetPresentCode in all files in a folder and then see 4 lines following this match. I am not sure if grep is what should be used to achieve. Thanks!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv_pan
3 Replies

2. Solaris

grep and display few lines before and after

Hi is there a way in grep to display few lines before and after the pattern?? I tried options A and B and after-context and before-context. But they don't work on Solaris platform. please advise. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching in file and then display 10 lines above every time

hiii, i have to write a shell script like this---- i have a huge log file name abc.log .i have to search for a pattern name "pattern",it may occur 1000 times in the log file,every time it finds the pattern it should display the 10 lines above the pattern. I appericiate your help. (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
30 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and display lines from a file

I have to grep on a few words in a file and then display the line containing those words and the line above it. For ex - File1.txt contains... abc xyz abc This is a test Test successful abc xyz abc Just a test Test successful I find the words 'Test successful' in the file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user7617
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep for a pattern and display the content above that pattern

Hi, When we have a failure, sometimes we just step restart the job from the next step. Later when we open the log for analysis of the failure, it is becoming difficult to go to the failure part. For eg., if it is a 1000 line log, the failure may be at 500th line. so wat i want to do is, grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep and zgrep then display the next few lines

Hello everyone. I would like to know if I can use grep or zgrep to search for a particular pattern then print the x number of lines after the pattern was found. Lets say for example a pattern was found on line 3, I wanted the output to show lines 3, 4 and 5. Thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamically accept search pattern and display lines based on it

I have a output file which contains n number of document.Each document has n number of segments and identified using below points The starting segment is ISA and Ending segment is IEA Each document has unique number and it will be passed in REF*D9 segment Each line in sample file is called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsuresh316
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display 2 lines before and after a particular pattern

Hi team, Is it possible to display 2 lines after a particular pattern in a shell script. For example in a file which has the below contents. Mummy Daddy Son Daughter Children Aunty Uncle Grandma Grandpa Son Father Mother Brother-in-law I want to display 2 lines before and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balamv
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and display multiple lines

Hi guys, I have a log file that generates multiple logs about a query. <query time='2016-04-13 13:01:50.825'> <PagingRequestHandler> <Before>brand:vmu</Before> <After>brand:vmu</After> </PagingRequestHandler> <GroupDeviceFilterHandler> <Before>brand:vmu</Before> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)