Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to merge multiple text files vertically and place comma between fields Post 302905784 by Don Cragun on Friday 13th of June 2014 08:36:19 PM
Old 06-13-2014
If you don't understand the scripts you're given here; ask questions. I haven't seen any of the volunteers here who were unwilling to explain how their code worked if anyone bothered to ask.

Your description of your input files is a little bit sparse. Making the assumptions:
  1. Some timestamps might not appear in all input files.
  2. The first file processed containing a given timestamp might not contain four fields.
  3. The output should have a minimum of 6 fields.
  4. If the output for a given timestamp doesn't include 5 fields (after adding the date to the start of the line), an empty field should be added and the final field should be 100.
With these assumptions, you could try the following code:
Code:
awk -v dt=$(date +%m/%d/%Y) '
{	# For each line in each input file...
	# For each field after the 1st field on each line...
	for(i = 2; i <= NF; i++) {
		# Add a comma and the contents of that field to the data
		# accumulated for the timestamp in the 1st field of this line.
		d[$1] = d[$1]","$i
		# Increment the number of fields we have found for this
		# timestamp.  If it is the 3rd field for this timestamp, also
		# save it in f3[].
		if(++c[$1] == 3)
			f3[$1] = $i
	}
}
END {	# We have hit EOF on the last input file...
	# For each different timestamp that was in the 1st field of any of the
	# input files...
	for(i in d) {
		# If the number of fields associated with this timestamp was
		# less than three, add empty fields...
		while(c[i]++ < 3)
			d[i] = d[i]","
		# Print the date, the timestamp, the input data fields
		# associated with this timestamp, and 100 - the 3rd data field
		# found for this timestamp with commas as field separators.
		print dt","i d[i]","(100 - f3[i])
	}
}' File?? | sort

If we add an additional input file (named File04) to those you had before:
Code:
17:40:00	1
17:45:00	2	3
17:50:00	4	5	6
17:50:01	300
17:55:00	7	8	9.1112	10

then running the above script today produces the output:
Code:
06/13/2014,17:40:00,1,,,100
06/13/2014,17:40:01,569056,2538672,81.69,436568,1771600,6213560,64,0.00,0,0,130,0.00,0.00,0.00,180,18.31
06/13/2014,17:45:00,2,3,,100
06/13/2014,17:45:01,570420,2537308,81.65,436568,1771600,6213560,64,0.00,0,0,126,0.00,0.00,0.00,190,18.35
06/13/2014,17:50:00,4,5,6,94
06/13/2014,17:50:01,569676,2538052,81.67,436568,1771624,6213560,64,0.00,0,0,129,0.06,0.03,0.01,200,300,18.33
06/13/2014,17:55:00,7,8,9.1112,10,90.8888

Does this do what you want?

Is there anything in this awk script you don't understand?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Update text files in place (string substitution) ??

The auditors have nailed us for world writeable files.... Apparently in years gone by, quite a number of our kornshell scripts have had: umask 000 put in the script. We have been able to turn off world writeable for existing dirs & files, but as these scripts run, new files keep getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kornshellmaven
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you delete multiple text from a comma delimited file

I would like to know code that will delete multiple text from a comma delimited file. For example, how would the comma delimited file below delete the word 'PEST' in Perl language (previously an excel file that was converted to a csv and the last column was PEST): 1, 2,43,34, bosx,PEST 1,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolo21taf
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge text files while combining the multiple header/trailer records into one each.

Situation: Our system currently executes a job (COBOL Program) that generates an interface file to be sent to one of our vendors. Because this system processes information for over 100,000 employees/retirees (and growing), we'd like to multi-thread the job into processing-groups in order to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oordonez
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place a comma on lines

Is it possible to place a comma in the desired places, like 10spaces after or 15 spaces after, irrespective of the contents??? Ex:File: TEST TEST: vimalthomaswants to place a comma can he do it in the desired places? as per the above file, i need to place a comma after 10th space... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vj8436
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: merge two files and replace some fields

Need some code tweak: awk 'END { for (i=1; i<=n; i++) if (f2]) print f2] } NR == FNR { f2 = $1] = $0 next } $1 in f2 { delete f2 }1' FS=, OFS=, 2.csv 1.csv > 3.csvfile 1.csv have: $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9...... file 2.csv have: $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u10
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert comma in place of column

Hi all, I have a file in which I have to insert commna between entries of 2 column and createa new file separated by commas not a columns if input is FHIT Adenosine Monotungstate Not Available CS Trifluoroacetonyl Coenzyme A Not Available Theo expected output is ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge the multiple text files into one file

Hi All, I am trying to merge all the text files into one file using below snippet cat /home/Temp/Test/Log/*.txt >> all.txt But it seems it is not working. I have multiple files like Output_ServerName1.txt, Output_ServreName2.txt I want to merge each file into one single file and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge two or more fields from two different files where there is non matching column?

Hi, Please excuse for often requesting queries and making R&D, I am trying to work out a possibility where i have two files field separated by pipe and another file containing only one field where there is no matching columns, Could you please advise how to merge two files. $more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two text files by two fields and mixed output

Hello, I'm back again looking for your precious help- This time I need to merge two text files with matching two fields, output only common records with mixed output. Let's look at the example: FILE1 56153;AAA0708;3;TEST1TEST1; 89014;BBB0708;3;TEST2TEST2; 89014;BBB0708;4;TEST3TEST3; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value?

can anyone help me!!!! How to I parse the CSV file file name : abc.csv (csv file) The above file containing data like abv,sfs,,hju,',',jkk wff,fst,,rgr,',',rgr ere,edf,erg,',',rgr,rgr I have a requirement like i have to extract different field and assign them into different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.Jena
4 Replies
join(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   join(1)

Name
       join - join files

Syntax
       join [ -a n] [ -e string] [ -j  n m] [ -o list] [ -t c]	file1 file2

Description
       The  command  compares a field in file1 to a field in file2.  If the two fields match, the command combines the line in file1 that contains
       the field with the line in file2 that contains the field.  The command writes its output to standard output.  If you specify a  hyphen  (-)
       in the file1 argument, compares standard input to the contents of file2.

The command compares and combines the input files one line at a time. Each line in the input file contains one field that uses to determine
       if two lines should be joined.  This field is called the join field. By default, the command uses the first field in each line as the  join
       field.	The  command  compares	the join field in the first line of file1 to the join field in the first line of file2.  If the two fields
       match, the command joins the lines.  The command then compares the join fields in the second line of both files, and so on.

In the input files, fields are separated by tab or space characters.  The command reads data from the first field until it encounters a tab
       or  space  character,  which  terminates the first field.   By default, the command ignores tab and space characters, so the next character
       that is not a tab or space begins the second field.  The second field is terminated by the tab or space that  follows  it,  and	the  third
       field begins with the next character that is not a tab or space.  The command reads fields in this way until it encounters a new line char-
       acter.  Any number of tabs or spaces can separate two fields, and any number of newline characters can separate two lines.

Both file1 and file2 must be ordered in the collating sequence of the command on the fields that  the  two  files  are  to  be  joined.	By
       default, uses the first field in each line and collates the same as

To  create  output,  the  command writes the join field, followed by the remaining fields in the line from file1, followed by the remaining
       fields in the line from file2 to the output file.  The following demonstrates how lines in the  output appear by default:
       join_field file1.field2 file1.field3 file1.field4 file2.field2 file2.field3

By default, the command ignores lines that do not contain identical join fields.  The command writes no output for these lines.

You can change how creates output using command options.  For example, you can cause the command to write output for lines that do not con-
       tain  identical	join  fields.	You  can  also	specify  a  list  using  the option.  In list, you supply a list of specifiers in the form
       file.field, where file is either 1 or 2 and field is the number of the field.  For example, 1.2 specifies the second  field  in	the  first
       file  and 2.4 specifies the fourth field in the second file. The following demonstrates how lines in the output appear if you use these two
       specifiers:
       file1.field2 field2.field4

International Environment
       LC_COLLATE     If this environment variable is set and valid, uses the international language database named in the definition to determine
		      collation rules.

LC_CTYPE       If this environment variable is set and valid, uses the international language database named in the definition to determine
		      character classification rules.

LANG	      If this environment variable is set and valid uses the international language database named in the definition to  determine
		      collation  and character classification rules.  If LC_COLLATE or LC_CTYPE is defined their definition supercedes the defini-
		      tion of LANG.

Options
       -a[n]	   Write lines that contain unmatched join fields to the output file.  You can cause the command to  write  unmatched  lines  from
		   only  one  file  using  n.  If you specify 1 in n, writes unmatched lines only from file 1.	If you specify 2, writes unmatched
		   lines only from file 2.

If you omit the option, writes no output for unmatched lines.

-e s	   Writes the string you specify in s to the output if you specify a nonexistent field in the list for the option.   For  example,
		   if lines in file 2 contain only three fields, and you specify 2.4 in list, writes s in place of the nonexistent field.

-jn m	   Defines  field  m  in file n to be the join field. The command compares the field you specify in the option to the default join
		   field in the other file.  If you omit n, the command uses the mth field in both files.

-1 m	   Use the m th field in the first file as the join field.  This option is equivalent to using m.

-2 m	   Use the m field in the second file as the join field.  This option is equivalent to using m.

-o list	   Output the joined data according to list.  The specifiers in list have the format file.field, where file is either 1 or  2  and
		   field is the number of the field.

-tc	   Recognize the tab character c.  The presence of c in a line is significant, both for comparing join fields and creating output.

Restrictions
       If you specify the option, the command collates the same as with no options.

Examples
       Suppose that by issuing the following commands, you display the files shown in the example:
       % cat file_1
       apr     15
       aug     20
       dec     18
       feb     05
       % cat file_2
       apr     06
       aug     14
       date
       feb     15
       Both files are sorted in ascending order.

If you issue the command without options, the output appears as follows:
       % join file_1 file_2
       apr 15 06
       aug 20 14
       feb 05 15
       The third line in each input file is not joined in the output because the join fields (date and dec) do not match.

To  join  the  lines  in these files and format the output so that the second field from each file appears first and the first (join) field
       appears second, issue the following command:
       % join -o 1.2 1.1 2.2 2.1 file_1 file_2
       15 apr 06 apr
       20 aug 14 aug
       05 feb 15 feb
       To write lines that are unmatched to the output, issue the following command:
       % join -a file_1 file_2
       apr 15 06
       aug 20 14
       date
       dec 18
       feb 05 15

See Also
       awk(1), comm(1), sort(1), sort5(1), environ(5int)

join(1)