Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting Post 302904388 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 3rd of June 2014 08:15:05 PM
Old 06-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshuGupta
Great...it absolutely looks like a machine language. Smilie
The language is called the shell command language. It is defined on your shell's man page. This part of the language is described in a section called parameter expansion; ${var##*/} is described in a subset of that portion of the language known as variable expansion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by Full directory path

I have a text file with full list of files with their full path. I wanted to sort it by directory then files then subdirectory by alphabetically. When I used the sort command it doesn't give like what I want. Could somebody help me on this. Here is the ex: This is what I'm getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javidraaj
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Present Working Directory (not the full path)

Hi, Is there a command that tells you right away the current working directory? I know the command "pwd", but that one gives the full path. if pwd gives me: /a/b/c/d/ggg/HERE I want something that will give me: HERE Thanks, Gaurab (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurab
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get an ls -l to not show the full directory path?

Hey I'm new to the forums here, and I'm seeking help for this script that I'm writing. When I do ls -l of a directory it shows the full pathname for files in it. For example, if the directory is /internet/post/forum/ and the file is topic, it currently shows internet/post/forum/topic. What's the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unity04
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 doesn't have full directory path

I'm running AIX unix korn shell. If I echo $0, I only get the filename, it does not have the directory name also. So when I do: `dirname $0` it returns a . (meaning current directory). How get $0 to return the full path/filename? Do I need something in my .profile? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory from full file name?

I think I know what this is doing, but the 'eval' is confusing fname=$(echo ${lineItem} | awk 'BEGIN {FS=";"}{print $1}') fname=${fname%%+(])} fname=${fname##+(])} eval "fname=${fname}" The first line extracts the contents of the line preceeding the ";" 2nd & 3rd lines trim the value (I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdorn001
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting-I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory

I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory. If it finds a file in directory, it should search for few specific keyword in the file. if the keyword exists, it should trim string from specific column. The file should be moved to another directory and the a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashdeepak
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract directory path from a parameter

i was attempting to extract a directory path that was passed from a parameter with this code vdir=`dirname $p1` echo current directory $vdir it does not work when the parameter passed has wild card on it. for example $ sh sample1.sh "/sbin/log/c*.log" dirname: extra operand... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies
XtSetLanguageProc(3Xt)													    XtSetLanguageProc(3Xt)

NAME
XtSetLanguageProc - set the language procedure SYNOPSIS
Widget XtSetLanguageProc(app_context, proc, client_data) XtAppContext app_context; XtLanguageProc proc; XtPointer client_data; ARGUMENTS
Specifies the application context in which the language procedure is to be used, or NULL. Specifies the language procedure, or NULL. Specifies additional client data to be passed to the language procedure when it is called. DESCRIPTION
XtSetLanguageProc sets the language procedure that will be called from XtDisplayInitialize for all subsequent Displays initialized in the specified application context. If app_context is NULL, the specified language procedure is registered in all application contexts created by the calling process, including any future application contexts that may be created. If proc is NULL a default language procedure is reg- istered. XtSetLanguageProc returns the previously registered language procedure. If a language procedure has not yet been registered, the return value is unspecified but if this return value is used in a subsequent call to XtSetLanguageProc, it will because the default lan- guage procedure to be registered. The default language procedure does the following: Sets the locale according to the environment. On ANSI C-based systems this is done by calling setlocale (LC_ALL, language). If an error is encountered a warning message is issued with XtWarning. Calls XSupportsLocale to ver- ify that the current locale is supported. If the locale is not supported, a warning message is issued with XtWarning and the locale is set to "C". Calls XSetLocaleModifiers specifying the empty string. Returns the value of the current locale. On ANSI C-based systems this is the return value from a final call to setlocal (LC_ALL, NULL). A client wishing to use this mechanism to establish locale can do so by calling XtSetLanguageProc prior to XtDisplayInitialize. SEE ALSO
X Toolkit Intrinsics -- C Language Interface Xlib -- C Language X Interface XtSetLanguageProc(3Xt)