Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete directories and files with xargs? Post 302903356 by steiner on Tuesday 27th of May 2014 05:37:54 AM
Old 05-27-2014
Hello,

yes i have an output of lot of files.

but i need also to delete dire tories that are older than one day.
That is no optimize the inodes for the disk

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete pattern files in sub directories

Hello friends, I am compiling some set of SQL scripts in a set of sub directories demoed as below. After compiling log files are being created. Each and every time after compiling time I had to go subdir by subdir to delete the log files. I am sure there should be simple way to look for all log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Batch job to delete files from various directories

Hi, I have a shell script to find files older than 'X' days ($2) in directory path ($1) and delete them. Like this: my_file_remover.sh /usr/home/c 90 Now, I need to modify this script and add it in CRON, so that it checks other directories also. Like: my_file_remover.sh /usr/home/c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search directories for files with zero sizes to delete

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will use ls on a directory and list the files one at a time and their size. If the size is 0 i want it to ask me if I want to delete it (yes or no). If I say yes, I want it to delete but it won't know what the file name is just from running from the script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akeenabawa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files from sub-directories over 7 days

Can any one please help me in deleting all the Files over 7 days from sub-directories A, B, C... Top-Directory Sub-Directory-A File-1 File-2 ..... File-n Sub-Directory-B File-1 File-2 ..... File-n Sub-Directory-C File-1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Find files older than 30 days in directories and delete them

Hi, I have dummies questions: My script here can find the files in any directories older than 30 days then it will delete the files but not the directories. I would like to also be able to delete the directories that hold old files more than 30 days not just the files itself. find . -type f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find and delete empty files and directories

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to make a script, to remove all empty files and folders from current category. It also should show the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Itixop
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to go Into Directories and Find/Delete files

I have a task, I usually do manually, but with growing responsibilities I tend to forget to do this weekly, I want to write a script that automates this, but I cant seem to work it out in my head, I have the shell of it out, but need help, and you guys have helped me with EVERY problem I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files in group of directories

OS: SUNOS 5.10 i386 Hello guys I wrote a shell script in bash shell to delete the files less than 30 days old. The following is the script. ======================================= #!/bin/bash for dirs in `/clu04/oracle/directory_list.lst` do find $dirs -type f -mtime -30 -exec rm {} \;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zacsparrow
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all the files and folders inside all the directories except some specific directory?

hi, i have a requirement to delete all the files from all the directories except some specific directories like archive and log. for example: there are following directories such as A B C D Archive E Log F which contains some sub directories and files. The requirement is to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete Directories and its files that begin with the same character string

I wrote a shell script program that supposed to delete any directories and its files that begin with the same character string . The program is designed to delete directories and its files that are one day old or less and only the directories that begin with the same character string. The problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
1 Replies
E2IMAGE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							E2IMAGE(8)

NAME
e2image - Save critical ext2 filesystem data to a file SYNOPSIS
e2image [ -r ] device image-file DESCRIPTION
The e2image program will save critical filesystem data on the ext2 filesystem located on device to a file specified by image-file. The image file may be examined by dumpe2fs and debugfs, by using the -i option to those programs. This can be used by an expert in assisting the recovery of catastrophically corrupted filesystems. In the future, e2fsck will be enhanced to be able to use the image file to help recover a badly damaged filesystem. If image-file is -, then the output of e2image will be sent to standard output. The -r option will create a raw image file instead of a normal image file. A raw image file differs from a normal image file in two ways. First, the filesystem metadata is placed in the proper position so that e2fsck, dumpe2fs, debugfs, etc. can be run directly on the raw image file. In order to minimize the amount of disk space consumed by a raw image file, the file is created as a sparse file. (Beware of copying or compressing/decompressing this file with utilities that don't understand how to create sparse files; the file will become as large as the filesystem itself!) Secondly, the raw image file also includes indirect blocks and data blocks, which the current image file does not have, although this may change in the future. It is a very good idea to periodically (at boot time and every week or so) to create image files for all of filesystems on a system, as well as saving the partition layout (which can be generated using the using fdisk -l command). Ideally the image file should be stored on some filesystem other that the filesystem whose data it contains, to ensure that its data is accessible in the case where the filesystem has been badly damaged. To save disk space, e2image creates the image file as a sparse file. Hence, if the image file needs to be copied to another location, it should either be compressed first or copied using the --sparse=always option to GNU version of cp. The size of an ext2 image file depends primarily on the size of the filesystems and how many inodes are in use. For a typical 10 gigabyte filesystem, with 200,000 inodes in use out of 1.2 million inodes, the image file be approximately 35 megabytes; a 4 gigabyte filesystem with 15,000 inodes in use out of 550,000 inodes will result in a 3 megabyte image file. Image files tend to be quite compressible; an image file taking up 32 megabytes of space on disk will generally compress down to 3 or 4 megabytes. AUTHOR
e2image was written by Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu). AVAILABILITY
e2image is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from anonymous http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
dumpe2fs(8), debugfs(8) E2fsprogs version 1.32 November 2002 E2IMAGE(8)