Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete directories and files with xargs? Post 302903355 by Aia on Tuesday 27th of May 2014 05:30:21 AM
Old 05-27-2014
Thank you for running those.
Quote:
The first one give an error : rm: missing operand
That's an indication that find is not passing any findings to xargs to execute.

Does find /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/apache_cache/ -type f -mtime +1 alone produce any output?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete pattern files in sub directories

Hello friends, I am compiling some set of SQL scripts in a set of sub directories demoed as below. After compiling log files are being created. Each and every time after compiling time I had to go subdir by subdir to delete the log files. I am sure there should be simple way to look for all log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Batch job to delete files from various directories

Hi, I have a shell script to find files older than 'X' days ($2) in directory path ($1) and delete them. Like this: my_file_remover.sh /usr/home/c 90 Now, I need to modify this script and add it in CRON, so that it checks other directories also. Like: my_file_remover.sh /usr/home/c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search directories for files with zero sizes to delete

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will use ls on a directory and list the files one at a time and their size. If the size is 0 i want it to ask me if I want to delete it (yes or no). If I say yes, I want it to delete but it won't know what the file name is just from running from the script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akeenabawa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files from sub-directories over 7 days

Can any one please help me in deleting all the Files over 7 days from sub-directories A, B, C... Top-Directory Sub-Directory-A File-1 File-2 ..... File-n Sub-Directory-B File-1 File-2 ..... File-n Sub-Directory-C File-1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Find files older than 30 days in directories and delete them

Hi, I have dummies questions: My script here can find the files in any directories older than 30 days then it will delete the files but not the directories. I would like to also be able to delete the directories that hold old files more than 30 days not just the files itself. find . -type f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find and delete empty files and directories

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to make a script, to remove all empty files and folders from current category. It also should show the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Itixop
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to go Into Directories and Find/Delete files

I have a task, I usually do manually, but with growing responsibilities I tend to forget to do this weekly, I want to write a script that automates this, but I cant seem to work it out in my head, I have the shell of it out, but need help, and you guys have helped me with EVERY problem I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files in group of directories

OS: SUNOS 5.10 i386 Hello guys I wrote a shell script in bash shell to delete the files less than 30 days old. The following is the script. ======================================= #!/bin/bash for dirs in `/clu04/oracle/directory_list.lst` do find $dirs -type f -mtime -30 -exec rm {} \;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zacsparrow
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all the files and folders inside all the directories except some specific directory?

hi, i have a requirement to delete all the files from all the directories except some specific directories like archive and log. for example: there are following directories such as A B C D Archive E Log F which contains some sub directories and files. The requirement is to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete Directories and its files that begin with the same character string

I wrote a shell script program that supposed to delete any directories and its files that begin with the same character string . The program is designed to delete directories and its files that are one day old or less and only the directories that begin with the same character string. The problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)