Sponsored Content
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums Usage of tail command in .awk Post 302901360 by alister on Tuesday 13th of May 2014 01:43:51 PM
Old 05-13-2014
A simple approach is to count the number of lines with wc, then use tail and head.

Regards,
Alister

---------- Post updated at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:40 PM ----------

More efficiently, dispense with wc and simply use tail and sed (using $ to avoid reprinting the final line).

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command

Hi , I have found a interesting thing about tail command: when I tried to use 'tail -1 *' to look at every file with the current derectory, I only got one line of result of one file. But if I use 'head -1 *', I would get multiple lines. Is there a way to do get multiple lines with 'tail -1 *'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command..

I was wondering how can I do this I have file myfile.txt wc -l is: 5 000 000 I have to remove first 1 000 000 lines from header.. I tryed with tail -4000000 myfile.txt>newfile.txt but it does not work... any help?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and grep command usage

hi Can anyone explain me how these two commands awk and grep works in a ksh shell Thanks Babu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksmbabu
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tail command

Hi All, My query seems to be silly but Iam unable to find where the exact problem lies. I have a script to unzip set of files here is the script #!/bin/ksh Count=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile | wc -l` while do Filename=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile |tail -$Count | head -1` cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage of AWK command under perl script

i have two files as shown below t1.txt: argument1 argu2 argu37 t2.txt: 22 33 44 i want o/p as argument1 22 argu2 33 argu37 44 i am trying to merge two file under perl script using following system("paste t1.txt t2.txt | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopa
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command help

Hi does anyone know how to create a file using the tail command? My book has this file I need to create and it says to use the tail command and that it is possible but I have no idea. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage of Awk command for output

Hi Experts, I have a Text file generated as below; <NAME> NEW#<technicalName><TAB> <Version> OLD#<technicalName><TAB> <Version> e.g. CH_PPV_AUDIT_DISTRIBUTOR NEW#EL_CFG_FTP_DISTRIBUTOR 2.1.0.upc2 OLD#EL_CFG_FTP_DISTRIBUTOR 2.1.0.upc1... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajangupta2387
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tail -f Command help

Hi Team, Can anyone help me here: I have to access server logs via putty and these logs file is a trailing file (continously updating) with ERROR and WARNINGS... I need to know if I can pull this trailing file to a local drive so that I can do some higlighting on some keywords through Notepad... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitensetia
13 Replies
tail(1) 							   User Commands							   tail(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tail [+-s number [lbcr]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcr] [file] /usr/bin/tail [+- number [lbcf]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcf] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [-f | -r] [-c number | -n number] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [+- number [l | b | c] [f]] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [+- number [l] [f | r]] [file] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is used. Copying begins at a point in the file indicated by the -cnumber, -nnumber, or +-number options (if +number is specified, begins at distance number from the beginning; if -number is specified, from the end of the input; if number is NULL, the value 10 is assumed). number is counted in units of lines or byte according to the -c or -n options, or lines, blocks, or bytes, according to the appended option l, b, or c. When no units are specified, counting is by lines. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/tail and /usr/xpg4/bin/tail. The -r and -f options are mutually exclusive. If both are specified on the command line, the -f option is ignored. -b Units of blocks. -c Units of bytes. -f Follow. If the input-file is not a pipe, the program does not terminate after the line of the input-file has been copied, but enters an endless loop, wherein it sleeps for a second and then attempts to read and copy further records from the input-file. Thus it can be used to monitor the growth of a file that is being written by some other process. -l Units of lines. -r Reverse. Copies lines from the specified starting point in the file in reverse order. The default for r is to print the entire file in reverse order. /usr/xpg4/bin/tail The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/tail only: -c number The number option-argument must be a decimal integer whose sign affects the location in the file, measured in bytes, to begin the copying: + Copying starts relative to the beginning of the file. - Copying starts relative to the end of the file. none Copying starts relative to the end of the file. The origin for counting is 1; that is, -c+1 represents the first byte of the file, -c-1 the last. -n number Equivalent to -cnumber, except the starting location in the file is measured in lines instead of bytes. The origin for count- ing is 1. That is, -n+1 represents the first line of the file, -n-1 the last. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tail when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using the tail Command The following command prints the last ten lines of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initiated and killed. example% tail -f fred The next command prints the last 15 bytes of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initi- ated and killed: example% tail -15cf fred ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tail: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), more(1), pg(1), dd(1M), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) NOTES
Piped tails relative to the end of the file are stored in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. Various kinds of anomalous behavior can happen with character special files. SunOS 5.11 13 Jul 2005 tail(1)