Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AVX for Linux (32-bit)
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing AVX for Linux (32-bit) Post 302901012 by GG2014 on Saturday 10th of May 2014 11:19:16 AM
Old 05-10-2014
AVX for Linux (32-bit)

For Intel processors we've a lot of new instruction sets (AVX and AVX2 already exists, AVX512 is announced). Therefore an application has to check during run time which instruction sets are available. I've written for that purpopse some procedures, which are callable from C or C++.

A strange result is that: With Ubuntu (64-bit), AVX is properly indicated. The 32-bit version doesn't indicate AVX (same CPU, other OS). So, the reason is probably that AVX isn't supported from the 32-bit kernel. I've an Ivy Bridge processor, which supports AVX. Does anyone know more destails? Your help and tips are welcome.

Gunther

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Bit field issues in Linux

edit: skip this post...the next is a better explaination of my issue. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
2 Replies

2. Gentoo

compiling 32 bit application on 64 bit linux(x86_64)

hi all, i have a 64 bit linux machine. $uname -a Linux SVRDELLD30 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Aug 15 10:35:26 BST 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux here by default gcc creates 64 bit executable. but for some reason i want to create 32bit executable. first i want to create 32 bit object... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Installing orca in Linux 5.2 64 bit

Hello All, We have a new project in place that calls for RHEL 5.2 64 bit version. This is our first 5.2 as well as 64 bit exposure. On our other Solaris and RHEL 4 systems we used a stats gathering software called ORCA. We are running into problems however trying to install it on RHEL 5.2 64... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchitus
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

32bit Linux vs 64 bit Linux

Friends , Would u plz tell me what is the difference between 32-bit Linux o/s and the 64 bit Linux o/s . Is there any RAM limitation in this two types of o/s . Waiting for kind reply ... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migrating unix mp-ras 32 bit to linux suse 64 bit

Hi. I need to migrate the whole unix environment from a Unix mp-ras 32 bit to a Linux Suse 64 bit. 1) can i use cpio to copy the data? 2) can i just copy the users from unix to linux or do i have to create them by hand 3) are there any other concerns i should worry about? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Linux forums a bit tight ?

Hi, I had done a long post here about the PCLinuxOS distribution but when I clicked on "submit" I got a message saying the post was too short : coming back has shown that my message disappeared : would you check how this forum is setup ? Thanks Mélodie (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: melodie
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find 32/64 bit in Linux

Hi, Can somebody tell me which command will help me find whether the OS is 32 bit or 64 bit. OS is LInux Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
3 Replies
isainfo(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        isainfo(1)

NAME
isainfo - describe instruction set architectures SYNOPSIS
isainfo [ [-v] [-b | -n | -k] | [-x]] DESCRIPTION
The isainfo utility is used to identify various attributes of the instruction set architectures supported on the currently running system. Among the questions it can answer are whether 64-bit applications are supported, or whether the running kernel uses 32-bit or 64-bit device drivers. When invoked with no options, isainfo prints the name(s) of the native instruction sets for applications supported by the current version of the operating system. These are a subset of the list returned by isalist(1). The subset corresponds to the basic applications environ- ments supported by the currently running system. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Prints the number of bits in the address space of the native instruction set. -k Prints the name of the instruction set(s) used by the operating system kernel components such as device drivers and STREAMS mod- ules. -n Prints the name of the native instruction set used by portable applications supported by the current version of the operating sys- tem. -v When used with the- b, -k or -n options, prints more detailed information. -x Prints instruction extensions to the native ABI which are supported by the platform. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Invoking isainfo on a 32-bit x86 Platform The following example invokes isainfo on a 32-bit x86 platform: example% isainfo -v 32-bit i386 applications example% isainfo -k i386 Example 2: Invoking isainfo on a System Running the 64-bit Operating System on a 64-bit SPARC Processor The following example invokes isainfo on a system running the 64-bit operating system on a 64-bit SPARC processor: example% isainfo sparcv9 sparc example% isainfo -n sparcv9 example% isainfo -v 64-bit sparcv9 applications 32-bit sparc applications example% isainfo -vk 64-bit sparcv9 kernel modules Example 3: Invoking isainfo -x on an AMD Opteron CPU The following example invokes isainfo with the -x option on an AMD Opteron CPU: example% isainfo -x i386: fpu tsc cx8 sep cmov mmx ammx a3dnow a3dnowx fxsr sse sse2 pause EXIT STATUS
Non-zero Options are not specified correctly, or the command is unable to recognize attributes of the system on which it is running. An error message is printed to stderr. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
isalist(1), uname(1), psrinfo(1M), sysinfo(2), attributes(5), isalist(5) SunOS 5.10 20 Jul 2004 isainfo(1)