Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Borrowing a bit of experience -- hardening FreeBSD -- Post 302900608 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 7th of May 2014 06:39:09 PM
Old 05-07-2014
Just seeing this post.
Besides remote scanners like nmap you perhaps can run the following script.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# This script detects world-wide writable files that can make the OS unsafe.
# It lists them as shell commands that would do fixes. (Pipe it to sh for execution!)

# No wildcard globbing
set -f

# Safe PATH
export PATH
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

# Get "mtab"
# Seems like a hack but is better portable than df
#
for mtab in /etc/mnttab /etc/mtab /proc/mounts
do
  [ -f $mtab ] && break
done
if [ ! -f $mtab ]
then
  echo "UNKNOWN: no $mtab"
  exit 3
fi

# Knowing that / is the first mounted OS disk,
# get all disks of the same type from mtab
#
awk '$2=="/" {type=$3} $3==type {print $2}' $mtab |
# and process each disk
while read mdir
do
 # only consider directories that belong to a Unix OS
 case $mdir/ in
 //|/tmp/*|/var/*|/usr/*|/opt/*|/etc/*|/dev/*|/stand/*|/boot/*)
  # List world-writable files and directories together with a command that restricts it.
  # Assume that a directory ending with /tmp is a temporary directory: do not descend and set the t bit.
  find "$mdir" -xdev \( -type f -o -type d \! -perm -1000 \) -perm -2 \( -type d -name tmp -prune -exec echo chmod +t {} \; -o -exec echo chmod o-w {} \; \) -o -type d -name tmp -prune
 ;;
 esac
done

I don't have a BSD system, so am interested if it runs at all...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm looking for a 64-bit Desktop that will run Windows, Linspire, FreeBSD and Solaris

Ok, I've been shopping around and I've seen some nice one's, but they are either too expensive or they are not 64-bit; I want to be prepared for the future at the right price (under $3,000 with a decent configuration)! :D Where can I find a good 64-bit desktop or workstation that will run the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Nice Guy
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migrating unix mp-ras 32 bit to linux suse 64 bit

Hi. I need to migrate the whole unix environment from a Unix mp-ras 32 bit to a Linux Suse 64 bit. 1) can i use cpio to copy the data? 2) can i just copy the users from unix to linux or do i have to create them by hand 3) are there any other concerns i should worry about? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies
qmail(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						  qmail(7)

NAME
qmail - overview of qmail documentation INTRODUCTION
qmail is a secure, reliable, efficient, simple message transfer agent. Users who want to control incoming messages should read dot-qmail(5). Available commands for the .qmail file include qbiff(1), qre- ceipt(1), forward(1), bouncesaying(1), and condredirect(1). Other helpful commands include maildirmake(1), maildir2mbox(1), and maildirwatch(1). System administrators who want to control the entire qmail system should start with qmail-control(5) and qmail-start(8). There are three queue-monitoring tools: qmail-qread(8), qmail-qstat(8), and qmail-tcpto(8). Incoming SMTP connections are handled by qmail-smtpd(8). qmail offers two command-line message-sending interfaces: qmail-inject(8) and mailsubj(1). For background information on Internet mail messages, see addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-header(5), and forgeries(7). Miscellaneous documentation includes qmail-limits(7) and qmail-pop3d(8). This documentation describes netqmail version 1.05 of qmail. See http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html for other qmail-related software, and http://qmail.org/ for other qmail community contributions. qmail(7)