Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris Performance
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris Performance Post 302898361 by DukeNuke2 on Monday 21st of April 2014 06:17:45 PM
Old 04-21-2014
What happens after a reboot of the system or a restart of the nscd service? How is your nscd.conf file looking?

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 04-21-2014 at 07:24 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

oracle performance on solaris 8

Good evening all, I have a very interesting issue. I have an oracle database on unix and nt. The dba says that his delete process runs in 22 mins on nt. When I run the same delete process on unix, it run in an hour. I downloaded sarcheck to see what was going on. It told me abpout the autoup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niasdad
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Enhance Sun Solaris 10 performance ?

Guys where can i find values to add in /etc/system to make sun solaris 10 working better ? im sure there is alot of values but i dont know from where i can find them if you know any please send direct and if you know another sites send links to it, thanks so much. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Help! Performance Threshold for Solaris 8,9,10

hi, I am trying to determine a 'rule of thumb' threshold for memory usage on different Solaris versions. I know that prior to Solaris 8, "page scan rate > 300" can be used as a general rule of thumb to determine any memory shortages. Since Solaris 9 and 10 have a different memory handling... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwclu
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How I can get System Performance on Solaris

Hi All, Can someone help me out knowing all commands for getting system performance on Solaris machines. Thanks in advance, Yagami Light. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yagami
5 Replies

5. Solaris

solaris performance

Dear all, I have a solaris 10 server , which is running web applications and webspere also is available. All the parameters like Virtual memory , swap , hard disk space and Cpu utilisation and I/o statistics are good , but still the server is slow. It has 2 processores and 128 VPs. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Performance tuning

Dear all, I have a Local zone , where users feel that performance is not good. Is it wise to collect the inputs from the local zone rather than taking from the global zone. And also Can I tune from Global zone , so that it will reflect in local zone. Rgds rj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

7. Solaris

T4-1/Solaris 11 and sudden 50% performance drop

We have a SPARC T4-1 server, running Solaris 11, and it's doing some pretty extensive parsing on roughly 100GB data set. All was well still few weeks ago, when I was testing the performance, I was reaching rougly 50minute calculation times, and it was more or less expected performance. Now... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: julumme
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 11.1 Slow Network Performance

I have identical M5000 machines that are needing to transfer very large amounts of data between them. These are fully loaded machines, and I've already checked IO, memory usage, etc... I get poor network performance even when the machines are idle or copying via loopback. The 10 GB NICs are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 performance optimization tips

Hi, I need general tips for solaris 11 performance optimization. For example - disable the unused services, etc. Thanks, Bhavin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavin1
2 Replies
nscd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  nscd(1M)

NAME
nscd - name service cache daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/nscd [-f configuration-file] [-g] [-e cachename, yes | no] [-i cachename] DESCRIPTION
nscd is a process that provides a cache for the most common name service requests. The default configuration-file /etc/nscd.conf determines the behavior of the cache daemon. See nscd.conf(4). nscd provides caching for the passwd(4), group(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), exec_attr(4), prof_attr(4), and user_attr(4) databases through standard libc interfaces, such as gethostbyname(3NSL), getipnodebyname(3SOCKET), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), and others. Each cache has a separate time-to-live for its data; modifying the local database (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, and so forth) causes that cache to become invali- dated upon the next call to nscd. The shadow file is specifically not cached. getspnam(3C) calls remain uncached as a result. nscd also acts as its own administration tool. If an instance of nscd is already running, commands are passed to the running version trans- parently. In order to preserve NIS+ security, the nscd service checks the permissions on the passwd table if NIS+ is being used. If this table cannot be read by unauthenticated users, then nscd will make sure that any encrypted password information returned from the NIS+ server is sup- plied only to the owner of that password. OPTIONS
Several of the options described below require a cachename specification. Supported values are passwd, group, hosts, ipnodes, exec_attr, prof_attr, and user_attr. -f configuration-file Causes nscd to read its configuration data from the specified file. -g Prints current configuration and statistics to standard output. This is the only option executable by non-root users. -e cachename, yes|no Enables or disables the specified cache. -i cachename Invalidate the specified cache. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Stopping and restarting the nscd daemon. example# svcadm disable system/name-service-cache example# svcadm enable system/name-service-cache FILES
/etc/nscd.conf Determines athe behavior of the cache daemon ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), svcadm(1M), getspnam(3C), gethostbyname(3NSL), getipnodebyname(3SOCKET), exec_attr(4), group(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), nscd.conf(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5), NOTES
The output from the -g option to nscd is subject to change. Do not rely upon it as a programming interface. The nscd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/name-service-cache Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 30 Oct 2003 nscd(1M)