Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with 'pwd' command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with 'pwd' command Post 302898218 by emily on Sunday 20th of April 2014 04:01:41 PM
Old 04-20-2014
Help with 'pwd' command

Dear all,
I am trying to use 'pwd' command in following way.
Code:
current_directory == /dirA/dirB/test/dirC

if [ current_directory_path has char == 'test' ]; then
do this
fi

I am not sure how to pass this in command way. Please help!

thanking you,
emily

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pwd Command and NIS mount points

I am running NIS, NFS and automount. If I execute % cd /xyz/data1 % pwd I get different results depending on the operating system. On SGI running Irix 6.5.x pwd returns /xyz/data1 On Redhat Linux 7.3 pwd returns /xyz/data1 BUT On Tru64 UNIX the pwd command returns... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agreenwo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pwd: A specified flag is not valid for this command.

Probably a very straight forward question but please be easy on me, I am v. new to UNIX! A script that I have runs the line tmp=`pwd -H` It works fine, but I needed to make a couple of other changes to the script, nowhere near this line but now this line reports: pwd: A specified flag... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paxton
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Enable PWD command on anonymous FTP?

Hello everyone - First post here, I'm trying to connect to an anonymous ftp server and I am told by the server admin that I cannot have access to the "print working directory" command. I need to have access to this command in order for my (and my clients) preferred ftp client to connect. (the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: HiredGun79
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

COMMAND sed AND pwd

Hi, I should replace the string DIR_ZERO in the file FILE_OLD with the current directory path in FILE_NEW by using something like this: sed "s/DIR_ZERO/'$(pwd)'/" FILE_OLD > FILE_NEW but it doesn't work and I don't understand why...:confused: Thanks in advance!!! Giordano Bruno (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PWD COMMAND

Hi, Can you tell me if there is a command such as pwd which does not give me the absolute NFS pathname i.e. it starts with .autofs? At the moment on the unix when I use the 'pwd' command it always gives me the nfs pathname rather thanthe local pathname of which is what i want, is there an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

6. AIX

sync samba pwd with aix5.3 pwd

currently, my samba login works just fine. i want my clients to use aix5.3 account to login to samba so they don't have to change samba pwd and aix pwd. i googled, and vi /usr/lib/smb.conf per some of knowledge base, but i could not get to work. aix5.3 and samba 3.0.24.0 thanks in advace..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the pwd to an export command through script?

I have an export command which exports the file which I specify to the specified location. It asks for an pwd and again to confirm the pwd, can some one help me to pass the pwd thru the script. cd /opt/var/SecureTransport/bin xml_export /opt/SecureTransport/var/logs/accounts_log.xml... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srini0603
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making use of PWD command in the code

Hi all, Need some help in the following code. (Running this code at cygwin in windows vista) cat /home/ebanpan/Input_Logs/*.log > /home/ebanpan/Input_Logs/input.log sed '/^Total/d;/^Bye/d;/^Output has been logged/d' /home/ebanpan/Input_Logs/input.log > /home/ebanpan/output.log this code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bansalpankaj88
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Behaviour of pwd command in sh and ksh

I have a script as below. bash-3.00$ cat test.sh #!/usr/bin/ksh path=`pwd` echo $path var=$path/temp11 echo $var If run it is giving output bash-3.00$ ksh test.sh //var/tmp/SB2/miscellaneous //var/tmp/SB2/miscellaneous/temp11 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command Understanding :- . $PWD/.profile

Hi, I am new in unix, can anyone please explain the use of:- . $PWD/.profile Thanks, Sujoy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujoyrchowdhury
5 Replies
PWD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd -- return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-L | -P] DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility writes the absolute pathname of the current working directory to the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin pwd command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. The options are as follows: -L Display the logical current working directory. -P Display the physical current working directory (all symbolic links resolved). If no options are specified, the -L option is assumed. ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables used by pwd: PWD Logical current working directory. EXIT STATUS
The pwd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), getcwd(3) STANDARDS
The pwd utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
In csh(1) the command dirs is always faster because it is built into that shell. However, it can give a different answer in the rare case that the current directory or a containing directory was moved after the shell descended into it. The -L option does not work unless the PWD environment variable is exported by the shell. BSD
April 12, 2003 BSD