Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Stack Overflow Questions Tags Users Badges Unanswered Ask Question Ask for the explanation of types Post 302897797 by vbe on Wednesday 16th of April 2014 05:41:04 AM
Old 04-16-2014
Well its like asking whats the difference between L1 and L2 cache in processors...
A buffer isnt big... just the size to bufferise correctly, a cache can be huge... the idea is having what is most accessed in cache to improve speed my not going to search on disk, and small enough to not loose too much time in searching when going to disk can be faster ( because data wasnt there... ) thus the importance of the cache algorithm...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

stack overflow in function psync_status Abort (core dumped)

I am running Open BSD 3.8 (3.5 upgrade) on a Pent Pro. 200, 64 Megs Ram, Nvedia Vanta TNT 16 Megs, Realtech 8139 Nic. When running ifconfig -a I get this error back. I've run searches on google no deal. I can get Stack overflow or psync, but not both. So I would really like to know how to fix it. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmcpreach
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unanswered question

I have to get a file created through the crontab everyday but with a different name.. i.e., filename must have the date in it. e.g., abcd-12.10.2007.dat When I asked this on another forum of this very site.. I didn't get my answers.. so, just for the heck of it, I'm posting this here.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Problem with stack overflow

Hi, I get a problem with stack overflow on HP-UX, when running a C program. Pid 28737 received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure. Possible causes: insufficient memory or swap space, or stack size exceeded maxssiz. The possible cause i found, was that the definition of a structure had... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikb23
0 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Stack overflow i guess while insmod

I have built kernel 2.6.35 on my Ubuntu system with some specific requirement. I also built some app defined module with the same kernel. I booted up the built version and I find it did not work properly as there is some gui and other modules missing problem. But the system booted up and I did... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilsukumar4u
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perform stack overflow

Help! I have an AIX system that has a power outage. When I logged in as root and got the system up and running it all looked ok. But.....when a user tries to log in they receive the error: The perform stack has overflowed OP=2117 PC=2124 E=46 in emmcshflif icrun is finished How can I fix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dlegnar
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Yahoo Interview unanswered questions

Hi guys, please help me get the answers of these questions which I faced in an interview @ Yahoo 1. I want to " ls " few million files, certainly I cannot do so because ls has some restriction in KBs, how can I do it alternatively. 2. Change the system in such a way that while booting up,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravsharma29
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

New Badging System - Badges Prototype Beta 1 (Badges Only)

Today I mapped out the new badging system using FA icons, Beta 1 in no particular order except a 6 x 8 grid: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums215-picture991.png The prototype HTML code for this layout: <style> .fa-badge-grid { font-size: 1.5em; } .row { ... (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
38 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Home Questions Tags Users Unanswered Windows 2016 DNS server returns SERVFAIL for non-existing doma

I have two DNS resolvers in /etc/resolv.conf file. The top one is Windows DNS server, and the bottom one is my wi-fi router. Please see below. nameserver 192.168.1.126 nameserver 192.168.1.1 In Windows DNS server, the sole "Forward Lookup Zone" is biman.net When I query for host in the zone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: broy32000
6 Replies
CACHEINFO(5)							AFS File Reference						      CACHEINFO(5)

NAME
cacheinfo - Defines configuration parameters for the Cache Manager DESCRIPTION
The cacheinfo file defines configuration parameters for the Cache Manager, which reads the file as it initializes. The file contains a single line of ASCII text and must reside in the /etc/openafs directory. Use a text editor to create it during initial configuration of the client machine; the required format is as follows: <mount>:<cache>:<size> where <mount> Names the local disk directory at which the Cache Manager mounts the AFS namespace. It must exist before the afsd program runs. The conventional value is /afs. Using any other value prevents traversal of pathnames that begin with /afs (such as pathnames to files in foreign cells that do use the conventional name). The -mountdir argument to the afsd command overrides this value. <cache> Names the local disk directory to use as a cache. It must exist before the afsd program runs. The standard value is /usr/vice/cache, but it is acceptable to substitute a directory on a partition with more available space. Although the Cache Manager ignores this field when configuring a memory cache, a value must always appear in it. The -cachedir argument to the afsd command overrides this value. <size> Specifies the cache size as a number of 1-kilobyte blocks. Larger caches generally yield better performance, but a disk cache must not exceed 90% of the space available on the cache partition (85% for AIX systems), and a memory cache must use no more than 25% of available machine memory. The -blocks argument to the afsd command overrides this value. To reset cache size without rebooting on a machine that uses disk caching, use the fs setcachesize command. To display the current size of a disk or memory cache between reboots, use the fs getcacheparms command. EXAMPLES
The following example cacheinfo file mounts the AFS namespace at /afs, establishes a disk cache in the /usr/vice/cache directory, and defines cache size as 50,000 1-kilobyte blocks. /afs:/usr/vice/cache:50000 SEE ALSO
afsd(8), fs_getcacheparms(1), fs_setcachesize(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 CACHEINFO(5)