Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Generating Random Number in certain range Post 302896459 by faintingquiche on Monday 7th of April 2014 04:04:15 PM
Old 04-07-2014
Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated!
Code:
comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 ))
echo $comp

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random number within a specific range (0.5-1.5)

Hello, need a way to generate numbers within 0.5-1.5 range Has to be totally random: 0.6 1.1 0.8 1.5 0.6 and so on.... How to? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

3. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

4. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix random number generate in given range

Hi All, I have extracted some report from database for few activities done. Now I have a requirement to add some random time(In range of 10-35) in front of each activity. Can be generated random numbers in any bash/sh shell within a given number range, let's say in between 10-30. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
10 Replies

6. Programming

Generating Random Number in Child Process using Fork

Hello All, I am stuck up in a program where the rand functions ends up giving all the same integers. Tried sleep, but the numbers turned out to be same... Can anyone help me out how to fix this issue ? I have called the srand once in the program, but I feel like when I call fork the child process... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisum
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help with random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000

Hi, Do anybody knows how to use awk or any command to random print out 1000 number which start from range 1 to 150000? I know that "rand" in awk can do similar random selection. But I have no idea how to write a code that can random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000 :confused: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a Random String of 'n' length

Hi, How can I generate a string of random characters (alpha+numeric) of a particular length ? For e.g. for n=5, output = 'kasjf' n=10, output = 'hedbcd902k' Also, please let me know if random (valid) dates could also be generated. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a POSIX random number?

Hi Guys and gals... As you know I am getting to grips with POSIX and hit this stumbling block. Generating two random numbers 0 to 255 POSIXly. Speed in not important hence the 'sleep 1' command. I have done a demo that works, but it sure is ugly! Is there a better way? #!/bin/sh # Random... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
sfind(1)                                                            ShapeTools                                                            sfind(1)

NAME
sfind - shapeTools RMS recursively descend a system hierarchy SYNOPSIS
sfind [-subs | -comp] directory [command] DESCRIPTION
Sfind recursively descends the system hierarchy of a software system managed by the shapeTools Release Management System (shapeTools RMS). Sfind starts it's search from directory downwards. According to the shapeTools RMS conventions, directory must contain a Shapefile which lists the subsystems in the variable SUBSYSTEMS and the subsystem components in the variable COMPONENTS. Each subsystem is visited. If no command is specified, sfind echoes the pathnames of the subsystems it finds, or, if the option -comp is given, the pathnames of the components of each subsystem. When a command is given, it is executed in the directory of each subsystem. The string ``{}'' in command is replaced by the pathname of the subsystem or component. OPTIONS
-subs command is invoked for each subsystem. This is the default. ``{}'' in command is replaced by the pathname of the subsystem. -comp command is invoked for each component. ``{}'' in command is replaced by the pathname of the component. EXAMPLES
List all system components: sfind -comp ~/development Show the pathnames of all versionfiles: sfind ~/development echo -n {}/ ; shape -echo VERSIONFILE Echo identification of the last release of each subsystem: sfind ~/development vl -last -format '$__lastrelease$\n' `shape -echo VERSIONFILE` Necessary quoting to echo a pair of curly braces: sfind ~/development echo two \{\} braces SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), shape(1), shape_RMS(1), shape_tmpl(7) CAVEATS
Quoting of shell meta characters can be tough. BUGS
The program is slow because shape(1) is called at least once for each subsystem. When sfind is interrupted, usually shape(1) displays the message ``shape - interrupted'', which may be confusing. AUTHOR
Andreas.Lampen@cs.tu-berlin.de shape_RMS-1.15 Fri Jun 25 17:01:50 1993 sfind(1)