Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trying to take file numbers from a file, pass them to sed to change strings in corresponding lines Post 302896192 by crunchgargoyle on Saturday 5th of April 2014 06:59:09 AM
Old 04-05-2014
Trying to take file numbers from a file, pass them to sed to change strings in corresponding lines

I have a bunch of file numbers in the file 'test':

I'm trying the above command to change all the instances of "H" to "Na+" in the file testsds.pdb at the line numbers indicated in the file 'test'. I've tried the following and various similar alternatives but nothing is working:

Code:
cat test | while read line; do line=$line"s"; sed -i "$line/H  /Na+/" testsds.pdb >> well ; done

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding strings to lines in a file

Hi all, I have a positional text file that comes from some source application. Before it is processed by destination application I have to add some header (suffix) to every record(line) in the file. e.g. Actual File ............... AccountDetails AcNO Name Amount 1234 John 26578 5678... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharath160
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings from one file which exactly match to the 1st column of other file and then print lines.

Hi, I have two files. 1st file has 1 column (huge file containing ~19200000 lines) and 2nd file has 2 columns (small file containing ~6000 lines). ################################# huge_file.txt a a ab b ################################## small_file.txt a 1.5 b 2.5 ab ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding numbers in lines with strings and number and doing some manipulation

Hi, I want to write a script that does something like this: I have a file, in which in every line, there is a string of words, and followed by some space, a number. Now, I want to identify the line, which has the largest startFace number (say m=8118), take that number and add it to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: super_commando
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing strings within lines of file

Dear All, I have a file which contains a column with age, which is represented in two following patterns 1. "007/A" or ''007/a" or ''7 /a" ..... In this case A or a means year and I would like to extract only the numeric values eg 7 in the above case if this pattern exits in a line of file.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change numbers in a file, incrementing them

Hello, Here's a file of mine: key1:431 key2:159 key3:998 I need to change these keys to something bigger - and I actually need to shift them all by a range of 3. The output would be: key1:434 key2:162 key3:1001 I can't find the propper sed/awk line that would alter all my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add strings from one file at the end of specific lines in text file

Hello All, this is my first post so I don't know if I am doing this right. I would like to append entries from a series of strings (contained in a text file) consecutively at the end of specifically labeled lines in another file. As an example: - the file that contains the values to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gus74
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change numbers in flat file

Hi, I have some datatexts with values and I want to replace only the values of the first file with the result of array loaded in one variable. Also I want the operation difference with the original value replaced and only replace the new value not the character format of the file. Some Idea?... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: faka
24 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file lines and pass line values as arguments.

Dears, Need help to implement below requirement A file (detail.txt)contain : 1st column: Stream 2nd column: PathAddress 3rd column: Counterlimit 4th column: TransactionDateColumn 5th column: DateType 6th column: SleepValue 7th column: Status Need to write a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
1 Replies
Address(3pm)                                            User Contributed Perl Documentation                                           Address(3pm)

NAME
Palm::Address - Handler for Palm AddressBook databases SYNOPSIS
use Palm::Address; DESCRIPTION
The Address PDB handler is a helper class for the Palm::PDB package. It parses AddressBook databases. AppInfo block The AppInfo block begins with standard category support. See Palm::StdAppInfo for details. Other fields include: $pdb->{appinfo}{lastUniqueID} $pdb->{appinfo}{dirtyFields} I don't know what these are. $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{name} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{firstName} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{company} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone1} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone2} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone3} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone4} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone5} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone6} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone7} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone8} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{address} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{city} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{state} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{zipCode} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{country} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{title} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{custom1} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{custom2} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{custom3} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{custom4} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{note} These are the names of the various fields in the address record. $pdb->{appinfo}{country} An integer: the code for the country for which these labels were designed. The country name is available as $Palm::Address::countries[$pdb->{appinfo}{country}]; $pdb->{appinfo}{misc} An integer. The least-significant bit is a flag that indicates whether the database should be sorted by company. The other bits are reserved. Sort block $pdb->{sort} This is a scalar, the raw data of the sort block. Records $record = $pdb->{records}[N]; $record->{fields}{name} $record->{fields}{firstName} $record->{fields}{company} $record->{fields}{phone1} $record->{fields}{phone2} $record->{fields}{phone3} $record->{fields}{phone4} $record->{fields}{phone5} $record->{fields}{address} $record->{fields}{city} $record->{fields}{state} $record->{fields}{zipCode} $record->{fields}{country} $record->{fields}{title} $record->{fields}{custom1} $record->{fields}{custom2} $record->{fields}{custom3} $record->{fields}{custom4} $record->{fields}{note} These are scalars, the values of the various address book fields. $record->{phoneLabel}{phone1} $record->{phoneLabel}{phone2} $record->{phoneLabel}{phone3} $record->{phoneLabel}{phone4} $record->{phoneLabel}{phone5} Most fields in an AddressBook record are straightforward: the "name" field always gives the person's last name. The "phoneN" fields, on the other hand, can mean different things in different records. There are five such fields in each record, each of which can take on one of eight different values: "Work", "Home", "Fax", "Other", "E-mail", "Main", "Pager" and "Mobile". The $record->{phoneLabel}{phone*} fields are integers. Each one is an index into @Palm::Address::phoneLabels, and indicates which particular type of phone number each of the $record->{phone*} fields represents. $record->{phoneLabel}{display} Like the phone* fields above, this is an index into @Palm::Address::phoneLabels. It indicates which of the phone* fields to display in the list view. $record->{phoneLabel}{reserved} I don't know what this is. METHODS
new $pdb = new Palm::Address; Create a new PDB, initialized with the various Palm::Address fields and an empty record list. Use this method if you're creating an Address PDB from scratch. new_Record $record = $pdb->new_Record; Creates a new Address record, with blank values for all of the fields. The AppInfo block will contain only an "Unfiled" category, with ID 0. "new_Record" does not add the new record to $pdb. For that, you want "$pdb->append_Record". SOURCE CONTROL
The source is in Github: http://github.com/briandfoy/p5-Palm/tree/master AUTHOR
Alessandro Zummo, "<a.zummo@towertech.it>" Currently maintained by brian d foy, "<bdfoy@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
Palm::PDB(3) Palm::StdAppInfo(3) BUGS
The new() method initializes the AppInfo block with English labels and "United States" as the country. perl v5.10.1 2010-02-23 Address(3pm)