Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random numbers
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Random numbers Post 302894518 by sea on Tuesday 25th of March 2014 10:29:58 PM
Old 03-25-2014
See: Man Page for bash (linux Section 1) - The UNIX and Linux Forums
Section: ARITHMETIC EVALUATION (c&p)

And besides, you already have done adding two numbers.
See the generation of your 2nd random number.

However, i assume you ment, you dont know how to actualy work with the results?
You did set n=$RANDOM which means the variable $n now contains the value of $RANDOM, which is a (not a technical-term-ace) global variable, generating a random number between 0 and 32,7k.

Well, so you need to put that result, that is nicely packed as an expression $(( r %= 200 )) into a variable.
Lets call that variable NUM1, so the (typo-corrected) code would look like NUM1=$(( n %= 200 )).
You then can see the result by echo $NUM1.

Then you can add the numbers using $NUM1 and $variable_b (as another example) instead.
NOTE: Variables are case sensitive and remain with their values in the shell until its exit.
Variables from scripts are not accessable from the shell unless the script exports them.

Hope this helps

Last edited by sea; 03-25-2014 at 11:40 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random numbers without repetition

Is anyone know some scripts to generate random number without repetition using bash; for example generate 10 different random numbers. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asal_email
8 Replies

2. Programming

How to set constrain on random numbers in c

Hi, I am currently trying to generate multiple random numbers in C for different variable:- die1=1+(rand()%5); die2=1+(rand()%5); die3=1+(rand()%5); die4=1+(rand()%5); But I need to contrain the total of die1, die2,die3 and die4 to be 5 as well. If i insert die1+die2+die3+die4=5, i do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random NUmbers Generation with out repetation

Hi I have the below code MAXCOUNT=10 count=1 echo echo "$MAXCOUNT random numbers:" echo "-----------------" while # Generate 10 ($MAXCOUNT) random integers. do number=$ + 1 ] "echo $number" let "count += 1" # Increment count. done But aftre executing this ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitka
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Numbers - Perl

Hi Guys I have a script to find Ranomd numbers. But I want to make the file to produce more random. Could u guys help me plz. In this Script I have the code that generates random in for loop and the range I have specified in my %chromlength input and out put will be like this chrno start end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a random string of numbers

Hi Can someone help me with this one? I have string.. (PROC_PROC_ID == 12183) <--PID is dynamic and i want to replace the PID number with whatever PID from /opt/hpws/apache32_2/logs/httpd.pid file. i'm having problem since the PID on the string is dynamic. It may be 2-5 digits or more. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert random numbers into each line?

I have a file contains thousands of lines. I want to insert n random numbers into each line at specific position. Like this: 0 22…… 1 33…… …… …… I want to insert 3 random numbers from position 2 to 4 into each line. 0 325 22…… 1 685 33…… …… …… Please use CODE tags when... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hhdzhu
8 Replies

9. Solaris

True random numbers in Sol10

Hi everyone I just got my hands on a T5120 running Sol10. As far as I've read, the T2 chip has a built-in hardware number generator. My question is: how can I access it to get random numbers in either C or Fortran? I'm using Sun Studio 12.4. I am currently trying to write an... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: toguro123
13 Replies
RANDOM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 RANDOM(3)

NAME
random, srandom, initstate, setstate - random number generator SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> long int random(void); void srandom(unsigned int seed); char *initstate(unsigned int seed, char *state, size_t n); char *setstate(char *state); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): random(), srandom(), initstate(), setstate(): _SVID_SOURCE || _BSD_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 || _XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
The random() function uses a nonlinear additive feedback random number generator employing a default table of size 31 long integers to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to RAND_MAX. The period of this random number generator is very large, approx- imately 16 * ((2^31) - 1). The srandom() function sets its argument as the seed for a new sequence of pseudo-random integers to be returned by random(). These sequences are repeatable by calling srandom() with the same seed value. If no seed value is provided, the random() function is automati- cally seeded with a value of 1. The initstate() function allows a state array state to be initialized for use by random(). The size of the state array n is used by init- state() to decide how sophisticated a random number generator it should use -- the larger the state array, the better the random numbers will be. seed is the seed for the initialization, which specifies a starting point for the random number sequence, and provides for restarting at the same point. The setstate() function changes the state array used by the random() function. The state array state is used for random number generation until the next call to initstate() or setstate(). state must first have been initialized using initstate() or be the result of a previous call of setstate(). RETURN VALUE
The random() function returns a value between 0 and RAND_MAX. The srandom() function returns no value. The initstate() function returns a pointer to the previous state array. The setstate() function returns a pointer to the previous state array, or NULL on error. ERRORS
EINVAL A state array of less than 8 bytes was specified to initstate(). CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Current "optimal" values for the size of the state array n are 8, 32, 64, 128, and 256 bytes; other amounts will be rounded down to the nearest known amount. Using less than 8 bytes will cause an error. This function should not be used in cases where multiple threads use random() and the behavior should be reproducible. Use random_r(3) for that purpose. Random-number generation is a complex topic. Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing (William H. Press, Brian P. Flannery, Saul A. Teukolsky, William T. Vetterling; New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007, 3rd ed.) provides an excellent discussion of practi- cal random-number generation issues in Chapter 7 (Random Numbers). For a more theoretical discussion which also covers many practical issues in depth, see Chapter 3 (Random Numbers) in Donald E. Knuth's The Art of Computer Programming, volume 2 (Seminumerical Algorithms), 2nd ed.; Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1981. SEE ALSO
drand48(3), rand(3), random_r(3), srand(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-09-20 RANDOM(3)