Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file Post 302893366 by RavinderSingh13 on Tuesday 18th of March 2014 09:43:18 PM
Old 03-18-2014
Hello,

Following may also helpful.

Code:
awk -vs1="\>" -F"|" '/^\>/ {print s1 $2;next} 1'  file_name

Output will be as follows.

Code:
>O15090
MCDAFVGTWKLVSSENFDDYMKEVGVGFATRKVAGMAKPNMIISVNGDVITIKSESTFKN
TEISFILGQEFDEVTADDRKVKSTITLDGGVLVHVQKWDGKSTTIKRKREDDKLVVECVM
KGVTSTRVYERA
>L18484
MPAVSKGEGMRGLAVFISDIRNCKSKEAEIKRINKELANIRSKFKGDKALDGYSKKKYVC
KLLFIFLLGHDIDFGHMEAVNLLSSNRYTEKQIGYLFISVLVNSNSELIRLINNAIKNDL
ASRNPTFMGLALHCIANVGSREMAEAFAGEIPKILVAGDTMDSVKQSAALCLLRLYRTSP
DLVPMGDWTSRVVHLLNDQHLGVVTAATSLITTLAQKNPEEFKTSVSLAVSRLSRIVTSA
STDLQDYTYYFVPAPWLSVKLLRLLQCYPPPDPAVRGRLTECLETILNKAQEPPKSKKVQ

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to shorten usernames and output to file

Hopefully someone here can point me in the correct direction. I'm working on a username migration and am trying to map my users ols usernames to the new ones. Right now every user has a username of firstname.lastname i.e. john.doe I'm trying to create a bash or python script that will take... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for changing the accession number of DNA sequences in a FASTA file

Hi, I am having a file of dna sequences in fasta format which look like this: >admin_1_45 atatagcaga >admin_1_46 atatagcagaatatatat with many such thousands of sequences in a single file. I want to the replace the accession Id "admin_1_45" similarly in following sequences to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: margarita
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences from a FASTA file based on another file

I have two files. File1 is shown below. >153L:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE RTDCYGNVNRIDTTGASCKTAKPEGLSYCGVSASKKIAERDLQAMDRYKTIIKKVGEKLCVEPAVIAGIISRESHAGKVL KNGWGDRGNGFGLMQVDKRSHKPQGTWNGEVHITQGTTILINFIKTIQKKFPSWTKDQQLKGGISAYNAGAGNVRSYARM DIGTTHDDYANDVVARAQYYKQHGY >16VP:A|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelsonfrans
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select distinct sequences from fasta file and list

Hi How can I extract sequences from a fasta file with respect a certain criteria? The beginning of my file (containing in total more than 1000 sequences) looks like this: >H8V34IS02I59VP SDACNDLTIALLQIAREVRVCNPTFSFRWHPQVKDEVMRECFDCIRQGLG YPSMRNDPILIANCMNWHGHPLEEARQWVHQACMSPCPSTKHGFQPFRMA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marion MPI
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fasta header modification

Hi, I need some help with modifying fasta headers. I have a fasta file with thousands of contigs and I need to modify their headers with the information obtained from a second file. File 1 contains the fasta sequences: >contig0001 length=11115 numreads=10777 agatgtagatctct... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokaps
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting unique sequences from multiple fasta file

Hi, I have a fasta file with multiple sequences. How can i get only unique sequences from the file. For example my_file.fasta >seq1 TCTCAAAGAAAGCTGTGCTGCATACTGTACAAAACTTTGTCTGGAGAGATGGAGAATCTCATTGACTTTACAGGTGTGGACGGTCTTCAGAGATGGCTCAAGCTAACATTCCCTGACACACCTATAGGGAAAGAGCTAAC >seq2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibk
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to count the length of fasta sequences?

I could calculate the length of entire fasta sequences by following command, awk '/^>/{if (l!="") print l; print; l=0; next}{l+=length($0)}END{print l}' unique.fasta But, I need to calculate the length of a particular fasta sequence specified/listed in another txt file. The results to to be... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file to only organism name

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|Q8WWQ8|STAB2_HUMAN Stabilin-2 OS=Homo sapiens OX=9606 GN=STAB2 PE=1 SV=3 MMLQHLVIFCLGLVVQNFCSPAETTGQARRCDRKSLLTIRTECRSCALNLGVKCPDGYTM ITSGSVGVRDCRYTFEVRTYSLSLPGCRHICRKDYLQPRCCPGRWGPDCIECPGGAGSPC NGRGSCAEGMEGNGTCSCQEGFGGTACETCADDNLFGPSCSSVCNCVHGVCNSGLDGDGT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerrild
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add specific bases at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences?

Hi, I have to add 7 bases of specific nucleotide at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences of a file. For example, I have a multi fasta file namely test.fasta as given below test.fasta >TalAA18_Xoo_CIAT_NZ_CP033194.1:_2936369-2939570:+1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
1 Replies
Bio::AlignIO::fasta(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Bio::AlignIO::fasta(3pm)

NAME
Bio::AlignIO::fasta - fasta MSA Sequence input/output stream SYNOPSIS
Do not use this module directly. Use it via the Bio::AlignIO class. DESCRIPTION
This object can transform Bio::SimpleAlign objects to and from fasta flat file databases. This is for the fasta alignment format, not for the FastA sequence analysis program. To process the alignments from FastA (FastX, FastN, FastP, tFastA, etc) use the Bio::SearchIO module. FEEDBACK
Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHORS
Peter Schattner APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ next_aln Title : next_aln Usage : $aln = $stream->next_aln Function: returns the next alignment in the stream. Returns : Bio::Align::AlignI object - returns 0 on end of file or on error Args : -width => optional argument to specify the width sequence will be written (60 chars by default) See Bio::Align::AlignI write_aln Title : write_aln Usage : $stream->write_aln(@aln) Function: writes the $aln object into the stream in fasta format Returns : 1 for success and 0 for error Args : L<Bio::Align::AlignI> object See Bio::Align::AlignI _get_len Title : _get_len Usage : Function: determine number of alphabetic chars Returns : integer Args : sequence string width Title : width Usage : $obj->width($newwidth) $width = $obj->width; Function: Get/set width of alignment Returns : integer value of width Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::AlignIO::fasta(3pm)