Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sort String using awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort String using awk Post 302892470 by shamrock on Wednesday 12th of March 2014 07:25:15 PM
Old 03-12-2014
@OP:

To sort any input string you'd have to factor out the sort part and put it into file as a standalone function and only then you can do what you are trying to get at...so put the sort function and the awk statements into a file called "sortme"...

$ cat sortme
Code:
function sortme(x,f,    j, k)
{
    for (j=1;j<f;j++)
        for (k=1;k<=f-j;k++)
            if (x[k] > x[k+1]) {
                t=x[k]
                x[k]=x[k+1]
                x[k+1]=t
            }
}

BEGIN {FS = ":" }

{
    pref=$1
    m = split(pref, srt_pref, ",")
    n = split(baseline, srt_baseline, ",")
    if (sortme(srt_pref, m) == sortme(srt_baseline, n)) svcstatus = "OK"
    else svcstatus = "NOT-OK"
    printf "%s %s %s %s\n", sname, pref, baseline, svcstatus
}

After creating the "sortme" file...change the statements inside your script...
Code:
snamelist="AAAB,ABCddf,LMNS,PQR:VALUE1 AAB,ABSSf,LMNS,DFD:VALUE2 LMNS,ABCddf,PQR,AAAB:VALUE3"

for sname in $snamelist
do
    BASELINE="AAAB,ABCddf,LMNS,PQR"
    echo  "$sname" | awk -v baseline="$BASELINE" -f sortme
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a string with numbers

Hi, I need help to sort a file contents. I am using sort -r option to basically reverse the comparison in descending order. However, i found out that my file is not sorted according, can anyone please help. My data is something like:- Hello world 20.982342864 343 19.234355545 222... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort entire line based on part of the string

hey gurus, my-build1-abc my-build10-abc my-build2-abc my-build22-abc my-build3-abc basically i want to numerically sort the entire lines based on the build number. I dont zero pad the numbers because thats "how it is" ;-) sort -n won't work because it starts from the beginning. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurpal2000
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort based on string lenght.

I'm not familiar with find. If i use find in a certain directory i want it to show based on hierarchy. find . type d fol1 fol1/subfol1 fol1/subfol1/subfol1 fol2 fol2/subfol2 i want it to show like this fol1/subfol1/subfol1 fol1/subfol1 fol1 fol2/subfol2 fol2 do i need to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require help to sort string

Hi Folks, Currently am working with 10g db. I want to sort the below o/p. Current output: ============ SQL> select partition_name from user_tab_partitions where table_name='USER_AUDIT'; PARTITION_NAME ------------------------------ PARTMAX PART_AUDIT_NOV02 PART_AUDIT_NOV08... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathik
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line

I want to sort lines by how many times a string occurs in each line (the most times first). I know how to do this in two passes (add a count field in the first pass then sort on it in the second pass). However, can it be done more optimally with a single AWK command? My AWK has improved... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories with given string, sort by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, which directories name has given particular string. Example: Directories with name "Build" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order. I tried with; find . -type d -name "Build*" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate chars and sort string [SED]

Hi, INPUT: DCBADD OUTPUT: ABCD The SED script should alphabetically sort the chars in the string and remove the duplicate chars. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds93
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort lines in the string

Hi guys, I am trying to sort numbers in the string in descending order but for some reason sort fails. n129$ echo "81 240" | sort -r 81 240 n129$ I am not sure what am I doing wrong. Is there a 100% reliable way to make sure that sort will always work. I mean on SUNS and IBM machines. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort only numbers within a string

Hi, I am having contents in a file like below, cat testfile rpool/swap rpool/swap14 rpool/swap2 rpool/swap3 I want to sort the above contents like, rpool/swap rpool/swap2 rpool/swap3 rpool/swap14 I have tried in this way, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)