Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Match string against character class in bash Post 302891666 by urello on Friday 7th of March 2014 07:07:30 AM
Old 03-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajesuri
Code:
REGEX="^[[:digit:]]*$"
if [[ $1 =~ $REGEX ]]
then
    echo yes
else
    echo no
fi

Thanks a lot. It works for me

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to check the first character in string

Hello would appreciate if somebody can post a bash script that checks if the first character of the given string is equal to, say, "a" thnx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ole111
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and POSIX character class

can anyone tell me why this doesn't work? I've been trying to play with character classes and I seem to be missing something here..! echo "./comparecdna.summary" | awk '/^compare+]summary$/' # returns nothing echo "./compare_cdna.summary" | awk '/^compare_+]summary$/' # returns nothing echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthalamus
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - get specific character from the string

Hi! If I want to extract a character from a specific position of a string, I can use ${string:1:1} (if I want character at the position 1). How can I do the same thing, when the number of position is contained in the variable? ${string:$var:1}doesn't work, unfortunately. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: How to remove the last character of a string?

In bash, how can one remove the last character of a string? In perl, the chop function would remove the last character. However, I do not know how to do the same job in bash. Many thanks in advance. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script search file and insert character when match found

Hi I need a bash script that can search through a text file and when it finds 'FSS1206' I need to put a Letter F 100 spaces after the second instance of FSS1206 The format is the same throughout the file I need to repeat this on every time it finds the second 'FSS1206' in the file I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I match the particular character in the string?

Hi, I want to check out a word in the text file and generate a clear report for me to see... The text file content: Content: ............ 20120608: 20120608: ............ 20120608: .......... 2012031201: , hime] End of the file My expected output is: Full TXT: manatsu TXT:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meroko
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Pulling first and last character in string

I am writing a bash script that will find all references to the “Well_List” in the “Comp_File”. I am filtering a Well_List that contains the following: TEST_WELL_01 TEST_WELL_02 TEST_WELL_11 TEST_WELL_22 GOV_WELL_1 GOV_WELL_201 PUB_WELL_57 PUB_WELL_82 . . Comparison... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petfyp
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Inserting non printable character(s) in string variable

Hello. I have a string variable named L_TEMP to test a very simple filter. L_TEMP="50AwL.|KWp9jk" I want to insert a non printable character between K and W. I have try this : linux-g65k:~ # a='50AwL.|K' linux-g65k:~ # b='Wp9jk' linux-g65k:~ # L_TEMP="$a$'\x07'$b" linux-g65k:~ # echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex issue with \s in character class.

Anybody have an explanation for why \s doesn't match ' ' in a character class? Here are 3 examples with the final example showing that \s in a character class (demonstrated by using egrep -o) fails: \s works outside of class.. # echo " FOO " | egrep -o '\s+\s' FOO Here is a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackrageous
6 Replies
XmScrollVisible(3X)													       XmScrollVisible(3X)

NAME
XmScrollVisible - A ScrolledWindow function that makes an invisible descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/ScrolledW.h> void XmScrollVisible (scrollw_widget, widget, left_right_margin, top_bottom_margin) Widget scrollw_widget; Widget widget; Dimension left_right_margin; Dimension top_bottom_margin; DESCRIPTION
XmScrollVisible makes an obscured or partially obscured widget or gadget descendant of a ScrolledWindow work area visible. The function repositions the work area and sets the specified margins between the widget and the nearest viewport boundary. The widget's location rela- tive to the viewport determines whether one or both of the margins must be adjusted. This function requires that the XmNscrollingPolicy of the ScrolledWindow widget be set to XmAUTOMATIC. Specifies the ID of the ScrolledWindow widget whose work area window contains an obscured descendant. Specifies the ID of the widget to be made visible. Specifies the margin to establish between the left or right edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved horizontally to make it visi- ble. Specifies the margin to establish between the top or bottom edge of the widget and the associated edge of the viewport. This margin is established only if the widget must be moved vertically to make it visible. For a complete definition of ScrolledWindow and its associated resources, see XmScrolledWindow(3X). SEE ALSO
XmScrolledWindow(3X) XmScrollVisible(3X)