Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed with shell script to search and replace a set of strings among the set of files Post 302890314 by Amulya on Wednesday 26th of February 2014 07:50:21 AM
Old 02-26-2014
Hi Srini,

Thanks for the script. As the data for the type of files and the replacements will be dynamic, could you please let me know how can i parse the search term and replace among the files as mentioned in the algorithm using for loops.

Thanks a lot for the help .

---------- Post updated at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriniShoo
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
cat sync.log | while read line
do
F_EXT=${line##*.}
if [[ ${F_EXT} == "html" || ${F_EXT} == "htm" || ${F_EXT} == "css" || ${F_EXT} == "js" ]]; then
# sed -i 's/abc/test1/g;efg/test2/g;gfdg/test3/g' ${line}
perl -i -pe 's/abc/test1/g;' -pe 's/efg/test2/g;' -pe 's/gfdg/test3/g;' ${line}
fi
done

---------- Post updated at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:33 AM ----------

Im using bash shell. scripting with .sh

---------- Post updated at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
do
F_EXT=${line##*.}
if [[ ${F_EXT} == "html" || ${F_EXT} == "htm" || ${F_EXT} == "css" || ${F_EXT} == "js" ]]; then
fi
done

Im using bash shell. scripting with .sh

---------- Post updated at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
do
F_EXT=${line##*.}
fi
done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

set password using a shell script

Hi All How can I set password in linux.It is OK if it display password in plain text in script. manually i can set: #passwd Changing password for root Enter new password: Bad password: too weak. Re-enter new password: Password changed. # I want this to be done by script.Please let me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh script - Design ? - Search file and set variables

Hi - I'm trying to think of a clever way to write a shell script (trying to stay w/ ksh as that's what I know the best...) that will resolve the following problem: Problem - On a daily basis I have to email folks who are on-call to remind them. I was hoping to script this out so I could have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlefrog
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi search/replace using a set

Hi, I'm trying to do a global search/replace in vi using a set - I want to find every occurance of a carriage return followed by a character and replace it with a space. I've tried the following: :%s/\n/ /g It does the search ok, but it replaces the characters with the literal value ""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HudZo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search of common words in set of files

Hi, I have a set of simple, one columned text files (in thousands). file1: a b c d file 2: b c d e and so on. There is a collection of words in another file: b d b c d e I have to find out the set of words (in each row) is present or absent in the given set of files. So, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mala
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex Search/Replace Multiple Files Script Needed

I have a rather complicated search and replace I need to do among several dozen files and over a hundred occurrences. My site is written in PHP and throughout the old code, you will find things like die("Operation Aborted due to....."); For my new design skins for the site, I need to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: UCCCC
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through Sub Directories and search for set of files

I have the below directory in unix environment /home/bkup/daily: ls -lrt drwxrwx--x 2 user user 256 Jan 12 18:21 20110112/ drwxrwx--x 2 user user 256 Jan 13 17:06 20110113/ drwxrwx--x 2 user user 256 Jan 14 16:44 20110114/ drwxrwx--x 2 user user ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannarajesh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding compound words from a set of files from another set of files

Hi All, I am completely stuck here. I have a set of files (with names A.txt, B.txt until L.txt) which contain words like these: computer random access memory computer networking mouse terminal windows All the files from A.txt to L.txt have the same format i.e. complete words in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a value and replace other field in the same set

Hello friends, I have huge file with many sets where each "set" has few lines and each set always begins with "Set" in Sq brackets as shown above. # cat file1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
2 Replies