Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Unable to extend volume group(VG) Post 302887070 by techy1 on Wednesday 5th of February 2014 01:07:22 PM
Old 02-05-2014
+1 to what vbe said.

when using extendvg you are saying you want to combine 2 or more hdisk into one vg. this is not to actually increase the size of the vg. ok so according to your first post you did try
Code:
cfgmgr

and you did not see the change.

using extendvg would be used if you had assinged a new disk and then wanted to combine that disk to oravg.
usage would be:
Code:
extendvg oravg hdisk3 (or whatever the new disk number is)

This is not your case.

do try this:
Code:
unmount all filesystems within the oravg
(use lsvg -l oravg) 
varyoffvg oravg
lspv - make sure the vg is not in active state
run cfgmgr
lspv - see if the vg came back online
if it didn't use varyonvg oravg and lspv again to ensure the vg is active
lsvg oravg
confirm the vg has the disk change.

if you are not seeing the disk changes make sure the disk changes are made correctly.
how are you assigning the disk changes? are you using SAN or assigned to the vio, NPIV?
send the output of:

lsdev -Cc disk |grep hdisk2

highly suggest reviewing the man pages before using these commands:
Code:
extendvg
chvg

if
Code:
chvg -g and cfgmgr

are not seeing the change I'm going to strongly suggest to review how the storage was added.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Extend one Logical Volume

Hi All, I am new to AIX. I need to extend one Logical Volume it is jfs type on On AIX 5.1. I have enough free space on the volume group for this extension Can I use smitty chjfs , will this do it without interruptions to the application that is using this Logical Volume. Thanks Scampi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scampi
1 Replies

2. AIX

Help - can't extend logical volume ?

Hi, Smit "Increase the Size of a Logical Volume" command failed. Output: ---------------------------------------------------------- Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. The distribution of this command (111) failed on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Unable To Extend the Size of a Logical Volume File System

Background: # uname -a HP-UX deedee B.11.23 U ia64 4294967295 unlimited-user license deedee.rsn.hp.com:/ # bdf /opt Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol6 6553600 6394216 158144 98% /opt /opt is almost full... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rob Sandifer
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to deactivate a Volume Group

We want to deactivate a VG but failed, because one of the LVs created there is busy. When we are trying to unmount the LV, it is telling "not mounted" and if I execute mount command it will be informing us "already mounted". dmsetup info is indicating "Open Count = 1". Please help me, how we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to reduce the size of volume group?

My volume group of size 200 gb. out of which only 100 gb is used by 2 logical volumes /dev/vg00/lvol0 and /dev/vg00/lvol0 respectively (both are 50 gb each). Whenever i use vgreduce command to reduce the size of volume group i get below error. # vgreduce vg00 -a Physical volume... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

8. AIX

/usr/sbin/extendvg: Unable to extend volume group

Dear Expret, Help me about my issue, I trying add new disk to volume Group but error: step add new disk to volume group. 1. ~Change a Volume Group Add a Physical Volume to a Volume Group Remove a Physical Volume from a Volume Group Reorganize a Volume Group... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: williamen
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

10. AIX

Cannot extend logical volume

Dear All, We have an Oracle running on AIX 6.1, now there have an disk spaces issue and we found that we cannot perform to extend the logical volume. Could help to review and make some suggestions. Status: we already provisioned some disks to the host, new disks can be scan and add into the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lckdanny
11 Replies
VGEXTEND(8)                                                   System Manager's Manual                                                  VGEXTEND(8)

NAME
vgextend - add physical volumes to a volume group SYNOPSIS
vgextend [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--restoremissing] [-f|--force] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] [ PHYSICAL DEVICE OPTIONS ] VolumeGroupName PhysicalDevicePath [PhysicalDevicePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgextend allows you to add one or more initialized physical volumes ( see pvcreate(8) ) to an existing volume group to extend it in size. Moreover, it allows you to re-add a physical volume that has gone missing previously, due to a transient device failure, without re-ini- tialising it. Use vgextend --restoremissing to that effect. If PhysicalDevicePath was not previously configured for LVM with pvcreate (8), the device will be initialized with the same default values used with pvcreate. If non-default pvcreate values are are desired, they may be given on the commandline with the same options as pvcre- ate. See PHYSICAL DEVICE OPTIONS for available options. Note that the restore-related options such as --restorefile, --uuid, and --physi- calvolumesize are not available. If a restore operation is needed, use pvcreate (8) and vgcfgrestore (8). OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. PHYSICAL DEVICE OPTIONS
The following options are available for initializing physical devices in the volume group. These options are further described in the pvcreate man page. -f, --force -y, --yes -Z, --zero y|n --labelsector sector --metadatasize size [--metadataignorey|n] --pvmetadatacopies copies --dataalignment alignment --dataalignmentoffset alignment_offset Examples "vgextend vg00 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdn1" tries to extend the existing volume group "vg00" by the new physical volumes (see pvcreate(8) ) "/dev/sdn1" and /dev/sda4". SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgreduce(8), pvcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGEXTEND(8)