Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read and Split a file? Post 302886763 by Don Cragun on Monday 3rd of February 2014 01:02:00 PM
Old 02-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
That request will work only for files having exactly (n * 1000) + 150 records. Are you sure you can guarantee that condition? And, what if the file has 999 records?
Hi Rudi,
These questions have been asked before in this thread. The original poster hasn't supplied an answer yet even though this thread has been open for a week. The number of lines to be stored in the first, last, and other files keeps changing; but there is no explanation of why the last file shouldn't just contain what is left over after putting one requested number of lines in one file and splitting the remainder into another requested number of lines chunks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

2. Programming

Cannot read a file with read(fd, buffer, buffersize) function

# include <stdio.h> # include <fcntl.h> # include <stdlib.h> # include <sys/stat.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int fRead, fPadded, padVal; int btRead; int BUFFSIZE = 512; char buff; if (argc != 4) { printf ("Please provide all of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naranja18she
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing awk script to read csv files and split them

Hi Here is my script that calls my awk script #!/bin/bash set -x dir="/var/local/dsx/csv" testfile="$testfile" while getopts " f: " option do case $option in f ) testfile="$OPTARG";; esac; done ./scriptFile --testfile=$testfile >> $dir/$testfile.csv It calls my awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File by Pattern with File Names in Source File... Awk?

Hi all, I'm pretty new to Shell scripting and I need some help to split a source text file into multiple files. The source has a row with pattern where the file needs to be split, and the pattern row also contains the file name of the destination for that specific piece. Here is an example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cul8er
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file and execute the read command

Hi, I am facing issues with the below: I have a lookup file say lookup.lkp.This lookup.lkp file contains strings delimited by comma(,). Now i want to read this command from file and execute it. So my code below is : Contents in the lookup.lkp file is : c_e,m,a,`cd $BOX | ls cef_*|tail... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file and split varialble

Hello Experts, Can anybody assist me in writing a code to do the following: I have a file present in the same directory from where this cod would run. The content of the file would be as below: Config Filename: config_details.txt Format: Server_prefix,IP_of_server,username, password,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Read Table in file and split

HELLO I need your help please , i need to read a file that contain a table like : Name | Status ------------------ DB 1 | UP DB 2 | UP DB 3 | DOWN DB 4 | UP DB 5 | UP the objective to read each line and check if DB is UP or Down and give me the name of Down database.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdellah
10 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m] | -l line_count -n chunk_count] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash or absent, split reads from the standard input. file itself is not altered. The options are as follows: -a Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If 'k' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If 'm' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l Create smaller files line_count lines in length. -n Split file into chunk_count smaller files. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, 'x' is used. STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The -a option was introduced in NetBSD 2.0. Before that, if name was not specified, split would vary the first letter of the filename to increase the number of possible output files. The -a option makes this unnecessary. BSD
May 28, 2007 BSD