Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To stop execution in cron
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To stop execution in cron Post 302886262 by RudiC on Thursday 30th of January 2014 10:43:17 AM
Old 01-30-2014
This may not be an adequate request for cron. Your entry will start at 10 min past each full hour and this will continue for ever and a day.
Try running a loop ten times and have a sleep 600 in there.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

temporarily stop cron services

hi can i know what is the command and in which directory to temporarily stop the cron service of my server? here is my server information thanks SunOS statsfs07 5.8 Generic_117000-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: legato
1 Replies

2. Programming

how to stop execution in for loop

Hi all, I am working on a c source code nearly 2000 line . it contains one big for( i=0; i< 200 ; i++ ) loop of around 600 lines could any tell me how to break the execution of prog when the value of i is 50 in for loop so that i can check inside the loop. Thanks.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to start/stop cron jobs on live server

Hi, I am working with a company where some times i need to start/stop cron jobs on need basis. I have one option to kill cron daemon.Is it right? Please correct me. Waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varaprasadu
2 Replies

4. Linux

Why service (start|stop) can not be called from cron?

Hi, When I googled, I came to know that I can not call the command "service <service-name> start" from cron, insted I have to specify path to the service-name. I wanted to know the reason. Thanks, Hansini (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to stop execution of a script after one hour

I have a shell script that writes some data in a file. I want to stop the script after one hour from start of execution using "EXIT 1". how to do it. I don't want to use CRONTAB. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop execution of script if some condition fails

After my if condtion give rusult true then script should stop execution. Please advice...Thnaks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to stop all the cron jobs

Hi All, Please provide the command to stop all the cron jobs. Thanks in Advance Regards, Sindu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira_s
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to stop a cron job?

Hi Guys. can someone please tell me how to stop a running cron job without editing the cron file? I know you have to find the process ID of the command, but I have no idea of how to do that. I will really appreciate it . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem with Cron: Script works manually but not w/Cron. Why?

Hello gurus, I am making what I think is a simple db2 call from within a shell script but I am having difficulty producing the desired report when I run the script shown below from a shell script in cron. For example, my script and the crontab file setup is shown below: #!/bin/ksh db2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okonita
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Stop script execution, when we encounter error

Team, Im new to shell scripting please help in below issue: Considering scenario i have 1.sql,2.sql,3.sql and 4.sql . If my second script fails my loop should come out and should not execute 3.sql and 4.sql. Here is my code. #! /bin/bash echo "exit" | user/password | grep Connected >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethi87
4 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)