Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Cannot boot as usuall , turn to black screen & ask for loging in ???? Help me???? Post 302884860 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 22nd of January 2014 07:51:27 AM
Old 01-22-2014
A black screen when Fedora 20 boots is not so unusual.

Perhaps the GUI cannot understand your graphics card.

Perhaps there's not enough free memory for the GUI. How much RAM is in the machine.

Don't try to login until the GUI starts otherwise you will interrupt the GUI starting.

Has the system had any updates since you installed it?

If you press <ctrl>-<alt>-<F2> does it give you a text terminal?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Black Screen for 10secs

I was thinking if there is a way that i can go about making my screen go black automatically for about 10seconds, (with a message like "take a break" printed on the screen) and after 10seconds everything comes back to normal.... is there any way that i can do this...??? to further clarify the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_d
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Black Screen

I am using Intel HD 400 Graphics on a laptop. When I logout, I get a black screen with no cursor or anything. I have to hard reboot the system to get into linux again. Working on RHEL 6 (gnome) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunveer
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Screen Goes Black When Run startx

Have - HP G4p DL360 SCSI version (*see below of pdf of server basics if needed) Scientific Linux live-cd.iso Issue - When it boots off the LiveCD, all starts swell, but if I install the OS normal it goes to a black monitor.... If I install text only, it works and when done I am at the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
4 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Boot problem after updates, Ubuntu, black screen and cursor

I hope this is the correct forum, please forgive a newbie. Hi all, New to linux, ubuntu, and this forum. I have enjoyed ubuntu for the past few months, but after my last update installation ubuntu would boot to a black screen and blinking cursor. If I let it sit for a while it would give the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nutoubuntu
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Showing a black screen

Hi all, Is there a way, on the command line, to show a black screen WITHOUT turning off the monitor? Also, is there a way to make the computer show the last screen before the black screen as soon as the user interacts with it? I know that there are various ways to turn off the computer, or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
8 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev and /sys to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help show help and exit -V, --version show version number and exit RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
mount(8), chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)