Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help Needed Using awk/CUT
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help Needed Using awk/CUT Post 302884254 by Akshay Hegde on Sunday 19th of January 2014 07:06:35 AM
Old 01-19-2014
Could this help you ?

Code:
$ cat file
Machine Parts                   6       DREE
Mufler Strengths        33              XYNC
Siscos                  20      09      ABSC

Code:
awk  '

function spr(){
                  n=split($0,A,r) 
                  for(i=1;i<=n;i++)
                      {
                        so = so ? so A[i] : A[i]
                        if((i in W) || n == i)
                           {
                             print so ~ /[[:alnum:]]|[[:punct:]]/ ? so : "-"  
                             so = ""
                           }
                      }
                  printf FNR < C ? RS : NULL
              }

FNR==NR{
                   j=0
                   n=split($0,A,r)
                   for(i=1; i<=n; i++)
                     {
                     if(f==0 && A[i]!=" ")
                               {
                                  s=i
                                  f=1
                               }
                     if( f == 1 && A[i] != " " && A[i+1]== " " && A[i+2] == " " || i == n)
                               {
                                  f=0
                                  ++j
                                  WI[FNR,j] = s     
                               }
                     }

# Consider width of max NF
                         if(j>p){
                                   mf  = j
                                   max = FNR
                                }
                       p = j
                       C = FNR
                       next
              }

FNR==1{
                     for(i=1; i<=mf; i++)
                     W[(WI[max,i]-1) != 0 ? WI[max,i] -1 : -1 ]
              }

{
                       spr()
              }

'  file file

Resulting
Code:
Machine Parts           
-
DREE

Mufler Strengths        
-
XYNC

Siscos                  
ABSC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut help needed!!!!!

/home/documents/files/scooter17.dat I am trying to cut out everything upto scooter17.dat so that it will only print out the scooter17.dat any ideas? great advices will be greatly appreciated. Thank you ********Updated*************** Thank you for the replys. It works!!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scooter17
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut help needed!!!!!!

cut help needed!!!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- /home/documents/files/scooter17.dat I am trying to cut out everything upto scooter17.dat so that it will only print out the scooter17.dat any ideas? great advices will be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scooter17
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[grep awk cut] > awk

Hi, I'm very new to scripting. grep $s $filename | awk '{print $2}' | cut -c 1-8 How can I optimize this using a single awk? I tried: awk '/$s/ {print $2}' $filename | cut -c 1-8 However didn't work, I think the awk is not recognizing $s and the verbal is something else. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or cut

select some fields from data file (source.csv) The data in file(source.csv) is like "x1,2",,"y",,"z" How to get the 1st, 2nd and 3rd field from the file. Using awk or cut? Note: "x1,2" is one field. thanks, (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: anypager
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is awk vs cut which one is better

i was trying to work on program to look for users never log on sever.. using awk with awk is working last| awk '{print $1}' |sort -u > /tmp/users1$$ cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $1}' |sort -u > /tmp/users2$$ comm -13 /tmp/users$$ rm -f /tmp/users$$ with cut it is not working ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macrules
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help please awk or cut

Hi I'm new to unix programming so struggling with something thats probably simple to many of you I have data files of the format : ID, date, value1, value2, blank on each line either value1 or value2 will be zero. I need my output file to contain ID, date, non-zero value The input... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thewench
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! using cut/awk

how would i write a shell script to show the number of lines in which int variable appears in a c++ program. how would i do this using cut or awk methods is it possbile and having a output similar to this x, number of apperances = y, number of apperances = (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadleg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to use awk instead of cut

I want to use awk instead of cut command. Following is my code: line="slNumber=US78AJF11643, slName=USJFKAAUSYDAAUL80441032900095, dummy sl found? sqlca.sqlcode=0" sl_WORD=`echo $line| cut -f 1 -d','` sl=`echo $sl_WORD | cut -f 2 -d'='` echo "$sl" Please suggest me about the code. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with cut command needed

I have this file containing 8 veritcal lines and I need to cut the first two lines into a new file and then cut the next two lines into a new file and so on... any help would be much appreciated. I tried the cut -c but that doesnt work and I am not sure what else to try. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed! - Cut characters after a text string and append to end of filename

Hi all.. I have several unique files that contain one thing in common, and that is acct#. For all files in the directory, I want to append the 10 characters following the word "ACCOUNT:" to the end of the filename. for example: I have file 111_123 that contains ACCOUNT:ABC1234567 The file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cinderella1
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)