Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for exact match using grep Post 302884096 by Akshay Hegde on Friday 17th of January 2014 11:34:17 AM
Old 01-17-2014
You may try awk

Code:
$ awk -F";" '$1==search{print $2}' search="155" file
xyz155@gmail.com
akshay@Aix:/tmp$ cat a
1693;abc1693@yahoo.comt;Tommy D
6423;abc6423@yahoo.comt;Jim Doran
6491;abc6491@gamil.comdt;Snowden
155;xyz155@gmail.com; Lenny Melfi
442;xyz422@test.com; Tommy Davis
2155;abc2155@google.com; Cindy F

Code:
$ awk -F";" '$1==search{print $2}' search="155" file
xyz155@gmail.com

for variable
Code:
$ acc=155
$ email=$(awk -F";" '$1==search{print $2}' search="$acc" file)
$ echo $email
xyz155@gmail.com

Code:
$ grep "^155" file | cut -d";" -f2
xyz155@gmail.com

Last edited by Akshay Hegde; 01-17-2014 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: typo
This User Gave Thanks to Akshay Hegde For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exact Match thru grep ?????

hey..... i do have text where the contents are like as follows, FILE_TYPE_NUM_01=FILE_TYPE=01|FILE_DESC=Periodic|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=B FILE_TYPE_NUM_02=FILE_TYPE=02|FILE_DESC=NCTO|FILE_SCHDL_TYPE=Daily|FILE_SCHDL=|FILE_SCHDL_TIME=9:00am|RESULTS=M... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for exact match in a string ??

Hi I have a string of the form XY_X1998.10.500. I want to check in a script that the middle part is always 10. How to achieve this? e.g the input can be XY_X1998.20.500 OR XY_X1998.50.500 OR XY_X1998.10.500. I have to print Yes everytime the middle value is 10 and NO when the middle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

3. Solaris

grep exact match

Hi This time I'm trying to grep for an exact match e.g cat.dog.horse.cow.bird.pig horse.dog.pig pig.cat.horse.dog horse dog dog pig.dog pig.dog.bird how do I grep for dog only so that a wc -l would result 2 in above case. Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated at 06:33 AM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and sed exact match questions

This was mistaken as homework in a different forum, but is not. These are questions that are close to what I am trying to do at work. QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed exact match questions

This post was previously mistaken for homework, but is actually a small piece of what I working on at work. Please answer if you can. QUESTION1 How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep two words with exact match

HI Input : Counters Counter Int Ints Counters Counters Ints Ints I want to grep Counter|Int Output : Counter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or sed - printing line only with exact match

Hello. In my script, some command return : q | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | x86_64 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default | package | 3.19.0-1.1.g8a7d5f9 | i586 | openSUSE-13.2-Kernel_stable_standard | kernel-default ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match

Hello! I have 2 files named tacs.tmp and tacDB.txt tacs.tmp looks like this 0 10235647 102700 106800 107200 1105700 tacDB.txt looks like this 100100,Mitsubishi,G410,Handheld,,0,0,0 100200,Siemens,A53,Handheld,,0,0,0 100300,Sony Ericsson,TBD (AAB-1880030-BV),Handheld,,0,0,0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match without period or other special characters

If I have a file like the following abc.1 abc abc_1 abc..1 abc*1 abc@1 abc def ghr def...... ddef 5466 def ed def** 123445 I`m trying to find exact words from the list abc def (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for an exact match in a file

I am currently having some issues while trying to grep for a exact string inside a file. I have tried doing this from command line and things work fine i.e. when no match is found, return code=1 but when its done as part of my script it returns 0 for the same command - I dont know if there is an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
6 Replies
GIT-CHECK-MAILMAP(1)						    Git Manual						      GIT-CHECK-MAILMAP(1)

NAME
git-check-mailmap - Show canonical names and email addresses of contacts SYNOPSIS
git check-mailmap [options] <contact>... DESCRIPTION
For each "Name <user@host>" or "<user@host>" from the command-line or standard input (when using --stdin), look up the person's canonical name and email address (see "Mapping Authors" below). If found, print them; otherwise print the input as-is. OPTIONS
--stdin Read contacts, one per line, from the standard input after exhausting contacts provided on the command-line. OUTPUT
For each contact, a single line is output, terminated by a newline. If the name is provided or known to the mailmap, "Name <user@host>" is printed; otherwise only "<user@host>" is printed. MAPPING AUTHORS
If the file .mailmap exists at the toplevel of the repository, or at the location pointed to by the mailmap.file or mailmap.blob configuration options, it is used to map author and committer names and email addresses to canonical real names and email addresses. In the simple form, each line in the file consists of the canonical real name of an author, whitespace, and an email address used in the commit (enclosed by < and >) to map to the name. For example: Proper Name <commit@email.xx> The more complex forms are: <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace only the email part of a commit, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching the specified commit email address, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> Commit Name <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching both the specified commit name and email address. Example 1: Your history contains commits by two authors, Jane and Joe, whose names appear in the repository under several forms: Joe Developer <joe@example.com> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@laptop.(none)> Jane D. <jane@desktop.(none)> Now suppose that Joe wants his middle name initial used, and Jane prefers her family name fully spelled out. A proper .mailmap file would look like: Jane Doe <jane@desktop.(none)> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Note how there is no need for an entry for <jane@laptop.(none)>, because the real name of that author is already correct. Example 2: Your repository contains commits from the following authors: nick1 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <nick2@company.xx> santa <me@company.xx> claus <me@company.xx> CTO <cto@coompany.xx> Then you might want a .mailmap file that looks like: <cto@company.xx> <cto@coompany.xx> Some Dude <some@dude.xx> nick1 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> <nick2@company.xx> Santa Claus <santa.claus@northpole.xx> <me@company.xx> Use hash # for comments that are either on their own line, or after the email address. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-CHECK-MAILMAP(1)