Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Remove White spaces from teh beginnning from a particular row Post 302884008 by RudiC on Friday 17th of January 2014 07:14:01 AM
Old 01-17-2014
Try also:
Code:
sed -nr '58s/^[[:space:]]*|[[:space:]][[:punct:]]*$//gp' file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces

How would I delete white spaces in a specified file? Also, I'd like to know what command I would use to take something off a regular expression, and put it onto another. ie. . . . expression1 <take_off> . . . expression2 (put here) . . . Any help would be great, thanks! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trimming white spaces

I have a variable that calls in a string from txt file. Problem is the string comes with an abundance of white spaces trailing it. Is there any easy way to trim the tailing white spaces off at the end? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: briskbaby
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two or more white spaces in string

Hi, Can anybody suggest me how to combine two strings with two or more white spaces and assign it to a variable? E.g. first=HAI second=HELLO third="$first $second" # appending strings with more than one white spaces echo $third this would print HAI HELLO Output appears... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish_oty
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading white spaces

Hi, I am having problem in deleting the leading spaces:- cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played cricket,NOTNULL,125782,Usually played cricket,NOTNULL,678921,Usually played $ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=","}!a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove white spaces from the beginning an end of a string in unix?

Suppose, I have a variable var=" name is ". I want to remove the blank spaces from the begining and endonly, not from the entire string. So, that the variable/string looks like following var="name is". Please look after the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix remove white spaces/tabs before & after pattern

Hi All, I wanted to know is there any way we can remove white spaces/tabs before & after some pattern { eg. before & after "," }. Please find below sample data below, Sat Jul 23 16:10:03 EDT 2011 , 12345678 , PROD , xyz_2345677 , testuuyt , ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Help with using tr - Removing white spaces

Hi, I have a file that contains whitespaces with spaces and spaces and tabs on each line and am wanting to remove the whitespaces. My version of sed is one that does not recognize \t etc. The sed and awk one-liners below that I found via Google both does not work. So my next best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove white spaces from flat file generated from Oracle table...

I have to export data from table into flat file with | delimited. In the ksh file, I am adding below to do this activity. $DBSTRING contains the sqlplus command and $SQL_STRING contains the SQL query. File is created properly with the data as per SQL command. I am getting white spaces in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgpatil31
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

[Solved] Mysql - Take data from row and copy it to another row

Sorry if I repost my question in this section, but I'm really in a hurry since I have to finish my work... :( Dear community, I have a table with two rows like: Row1 Row2 ======= ======= 7,3 text 1 1,3 text 2 1,2,3 blabla What i need to do is add/copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('arevela','alpha'); $lvar = code2langvar('arevela',LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-04-12 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)