Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare files of 2 directories Post 302883559 by RudiC on Wednesday 15th of January 2014 04:46:43 AM
Old 01-15-2014
So you will end up having sets of two identical files - with different file names - in dir2? Any rules for creating new file names?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files from two directories

HI, i want to compare one file from one directory to many files in other directory. means in my /DIR/20070930/b/STG* directory i have only one file and in /DIR/20070930/a/STG* directory i have many files. so i want to check the name of that files should be present in other directory or not ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi214u
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare db zone files in 2 directories

Hi, I am in need of a way to compare ( perhaps a shell script or Perl ) many db.X files that are located in 2 separate directories but strip out the first 11 lines from ; ; THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED. DO NOT EDIT IT. ; THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED. DO NOT EDIT IT. ; THIS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files in two directories and output changed files to third directory

I have searched about 30 threads, a load of Google pages and cannot find what I am looking for. I have some of the parts but not the whole. I cannot seem to get the puzzle fit together. I have three folders, two of which contain different versions of multiple files, dist/file1.php dist/file2.php... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkeep
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare all files under directories

Hello I am very new to Unix. I am actually using the C shell to write a program that will compare all the files in the directory and subdirectores and print out the ones that are identical, I am assuming identical by name or text Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ga.miami56
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare files in 2 directories?

Hi, I want to compare the content of 2 directories and list down both the duplicate and unique files from each directory. Tried to use diff but but not able to achieve the result. For example, DirA FileX FileY FileZ DirB FileY The desired outcome is Duplication: FileY... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andre_2008
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare two files in different directories

Hi all , Can any one give me the solution for below query. I have two files . firstfile: xyz123 abc234 text2456 secondfile (\home\test) xyz123:ram ab34:scrit text2456:maven After you compare the ouput should the the common items in both files (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare files in two directories

Hi All, I have two directories that has some files, some of the files are common to both of them like : ls -l dir1 file1 file2 file3 ls -l dir2 file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 Now i want to get the files from dir2 that are not present in dir1 (means i want to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files in directories with md5sum

And not to start. I can compare files, that's easy. The problem is that I compare files in a directory, and check if these files exist in another directory. The problem is that the file names are not the same. So I have to compare with "md5sum" or something similar. How I can do? All this in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jomeaide
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Compare files in two different directories

Hi, My script works fine when I have both input files in the same directory but when I put on of the input file in another directory, the output does not show up. SCRIPT: awk ' BEGIN { OFS="\t" out = "File3.txt"} NR==FNR && NF {a=$0; next} function print_77_99() { if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: High-T
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files with different names in different directories

Hi, I have a requirement to compare files in different directories with different names. The files have a datestamp in their name (It might not be a sequential datetimestamp). This is for Redhat Linux. I have more than 5 directories and more than 10 file in each directory to be compared. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GosarJunk
4 Replies
dircmp(1)							   User Commands							 dircmp(1)

NAME
dircmp - directory comparison SYNOPSIS
dircmp [-ds] [-w n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
The dircmp command examines dir1 and dir2 and generates various tabulated information about the contents of the directories. Listings of files that are unique to each directory are generated for all the options. If no option is entered, a list is output indicating whether the file names common to both directories have the same contents. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Compares the contents of files with the same name in both directories and output a list telling what must be changed in the two files to bring them into agreement. The list format is described in diff(1). -s Suppresses messages about identical files. -w n Changes the width of the output line to n characters. The default width is 72. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: dir1 A path name of a directory to be compared. dir2 USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of dircmp when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of dircmp: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. (Differences in directory contents are not considered errors.) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 dircmp(1)