Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble using awk and sed commands Post 302881898 by RudiC on Thursday 2nd of January 2014 04:53:32 PM
Old 01-02-2014
Try
Code:
awk -F, '               {FN=$1"_a.txt"
                         NN=split ($NF, NAMES, ";")
                         getline X < $2; print X > FN
                         while (getline X < $3) for (i=1; i<=NN; i++) if (match (X, NAMES[i]".*"$1)) print X > FN
                         while (getline X < $2)  print X > FN
                        }
        ' controlfile
record
apurva is girl
pushpa is girl
sneha is girl
he is good
he is bad
end

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables within awk/sed commands

Can I use my own variables within awk and sed for example: I've written a while loop with a counter $i and I want to use the value of $i within sed and awk to edit certain lines of text within a data file. I want to use : sed '1s/$/texthere/g' data.csv Like this: sed '$is/$/$age/g' data.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustaine85
5 Replies

2. Linux

Adding a prefix to a column using awk/sed commands

Hello, I am a newbie to linux and struggling to find a better way to append a column in a text file. Here is the file i want to modify: It has 8 columns (and thousands of rows). I want to append the first column by adding "chr" infront of the numbers. Some rows have a string in the first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjorngill
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have to learn sed and awk commands in kSH?

Links Please??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diddy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter in sed or awk commands to print for the specific line in a file

Hi, I am trying to print a specific line in a file through sed or awk. The line number will be passed as a parameter from the previous step. My code looks as below. TEMP3=`sed -n '$TEMP2p' $FILEPATH/Log.txt` $TEMP2, I am getting from the previous step which is a numerical value(eg:3). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyasrin82
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables into SED or AWK and multiple commands

Hello I am hoping you may help. I am not sure how to go about this exactly, I know the tools but not sure how to make them work together. I have two SED commands that I would like to run in a shell script. I would like to take the manual input of a user (types in when prompted) to be used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble executing piped shell commands in perl code

I am trying to execute a piped combination of shell commands inside a perl program. However, it is not working as desired. This is my program, i am trying to print only filenames from the output of ls -l $ cat list_test #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; my $count=0; my @list=`ls -l|awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ps commands trouble

Hi, i am writing a bash file and need to list the command name and user for the busiest process ie the one using the greatest percentage of CPU time) im kind of stuck. i know you should get the highest CPU , sort column 3 then take off the head but i'm un sure how would i do that? echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryoukii
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble passing commands with expect

Hello All, I hope someone could help me with this. I'm creating a shell script to run a process. The trouble is, part of the process has to be ran as a different user. I can 'su' to the user ok, but I'm having trouble passing a 'cd' command as well as some variables I set earlier in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed or any commands to stripe data

Say i have: g_gateway domain="abc.com" to="123.123.123.123" relay="false" how do i use awk or sed or any method to get the result below: abc.com 123.123.123.123 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trouble looping commands

Hi, I have encountered a problem that I am unable to find a workaround for. I have 52 numbers and I need to submit an individual job for each pair combination, so too many to do by hand. I have created a submission file (submission_code.sh) which contains the following code: gcta64... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tim.morris
2 Replies