Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to search for a file having a particular character in a particular place in a directory.? Post 302881046 by Yoda on Thursday 26th of December 2013 09:17:47 AM
Old 12-26-2013
Code:
find . -name "??b*"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a non zero character in file

Hi, I have a log file which has entries as Staged 0 records from fn.dat (0 failed) 01/01 01:01:01 I 0 Error Transactions I want to find out any line that has an entry like "(1 failed)" or "(2 failed)" or any number in general ( >0 ) similarly it should search for string like "1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: misenkiser
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a special character $ in place of extra spaces

Hi Experts, I have called some.txt with the following content. oracle HYRDSRVIHUB01 pts/0 TESTIHUB 07-JUN-10 CREATE TABLE TESTIHUB PHONE ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to search and list file with wildcard character

hi, I want to search all files in the current working direcotry and to print in comma (,) seperated output. But I have two patterns to search for. Files will be in ABC20100508.DAT format. Search should happen on the format (ABC????????.DAT) along with date(20100508). I can do a ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using gsed with cp to sort files in directory - every N file copy to new place

Hi all, I'm having a problem with some basic piping issues... I have been able to get in a directory and ls | gsed in order to list every N file for instance: ls | gsed -n '2~5p' The thing is I want to be able to copy the output files to a new directory. Basically directory /all has a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgoss
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to search n place a pattern

hi, i have one file as t1.txt as below hi hello welcome i want perl script to search for the pattern "abcd" in the file. if the pattern doesn't exist, i want to insert that pattern at the end of the same file t1.txt my o/p should be hi hllo welcome abcd thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place , character after 3 digits from left to right in a string

Hi All, Could anyone please help me, how to put ‘,' character after 3 digits from right to left count,among 17 digits sting. unix scripting Example - I am having 12345678911234567 digits Accepted result-- 12,345,678,911,234,567 Note- 12345678911234567 digits will be dynamic at run time, I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search for a character in files in a Directory & remove it

Hi All, Am new to both Unix & this Forum - Need some help on a script that I am trying to write: In a Directory i have few text files which might or might not contain some text that I am trying to find. Once that text is found in any of the files, it needs to be removed from the file ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rituparna_gupta
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replace certain character at specific place with related character

hello i have file with 100k records and each one has certain value that starts at 28th column and certain value that starts at 88th column e.g. 1st file <25>1234567 ..... <88> 8573785485 i have aditional file with values which are related to value that starts at 88th column of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell1520
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in all directories and place the file in that directory

Hi All, Daily I am getting the updated file. I have to search for this file in all directories and sub directories. If the file existed in a particular directory then move this updated file to that particular directory. If the file is not existed in any of the directories then place this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -L causes the created home directory to be localized. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X May 31, 2019 Mac OS X