Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Length of each string Post 302880945 by Yoda on Tuesday 24th of December 2013 10:54:43 PM
Old 12-24-2013
Please use code tags for posting code fragments or data samples.

I would suggest you to post expected output as well to avoid any confusion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

length of the string

Hi all, pls help me in finding the length of the given string, do we need to write a code seperately or is there any command?? pls help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

length of string

Hi lets say i have a variable output="string" how can you find the length of the string contained in this variable? i guess "wc" cannot be used. its only for files. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: silas.john
8 Replies

5. Programming

regarding string length

Helo, I have character array of sixe 128 char filename now I have one problem that when I enter filename as nothing I got value as " " ",`\0` " . when I find this string length ( " ",`\0`) as 1(one). actually I want to make this length as zero. so what should I do (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a string with leading spaces and find the length of the string

HI In my script, i am reading the input from the user and want to find the length of the string. The input may contain leading spaces. Right now, when leading spaces are there, they are not counted. Kindly help me My script is like below. I am using the ksh. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayamatrix
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String with different length

let image that we have string: QQQQQQQ:ABCDE:FFFFFF:GGGGG in second field can be 0 or 5 characters if A exist i need set variable ex: VAR=yes if B exist i need set variable ex: VAR1=yes if C exist i need set variable ex: VAR2=yes etc ... if second field is empty no variable to set if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] String length in kornshell

In the kornshell you can get the length of a string with $ x=abc $ print ${#x} 3 If the current locale is a multibyte locale, like de_AT.UTF-8, you get the length of the string in bytes, not characters: $ x=für $ print ${#x} 4 Is there an easy way to get the length of a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hergp
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Listing files starting with p or f and with the exact length of 3 characters

Hello, I need some help. How can I list files starting with p or f and with the exact length of 3 characters? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: airbebe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Length

Hi All, One of my source file is having Date column and the format of the column is YYYY-MM-DD. As per my business logic I have to check if the date format either YYY-MM-DD or YYYY-M-DD. If any records are in this format then I have print all the records and send those invalid records through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_target
4 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)