Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cat Input & Output to a Log file Post 302880279 by RudiC on Wednesday 18th of December 2013 01:46:29 PM
Old 12-18-2013
Try this (but you won't see what you type);
Code:
exec 5>&1 6>&2 >&a.log
cat a.txt
exec  1>&5 2>&6

This saves stdout and stderr to some dummy file descriptors, redirects them to x.log, and later restores them from the dummies.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to input the CAT command output in Shell

Hi guys... I am new to this scripting...so please forgive me if anything worng in my questions... here is my question.. I have file structure /home/oracle/<sid>/logs/bkup now i want to write a script which should grep the sid name from a file..and it should replace the <SID> with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: troubleurheart
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file and parse output

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting and did a search on the forum to what I want to do but couldn't find anything. I have about 9 routers that outputs to 1 syslog file daily named cisco.year.mo.date.log ex: cisco.2009.05.11.log My goal is to make a parsing script that cats today's syslog... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjrambar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to copy file using SCP (Input/output & Permission denied error)

Hi, I am facing issue while using scp. Source & target machines are Linux & HP-UX respectively. On target machine, if I fire the following command, I get error: Now if I try scp on another file, which is on the same source machine, it works fine. All directories and subdirectories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Technext
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cat command drops lines in output file

I use the cat command to concatenate text files, but one of the rows I was expecting doesn't display in the output file. Is there a verbose mode\logging mechanism for the cat command to help me investigate where the lines I was expecting are going?? cat 7760-001_1_*_06_*.txt | grep -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xin Xin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat writing only one record in the output file

Hi All, I have an input file containing data as below: Input.DAT XXXXXXX|YYYYYYY|ZZZZZZZZZZ|12334446456|B|YY|111111111|111111111|111111111|111111111|15|3|NNNNNN|Y|3|AAA|111111111... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar.cumar
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting output from a file similar to cat output

I have a file # cat /root/llll 11 22 33 44 When I cat this file content to a variable inside a shell script and echo that shell script, it does not show up as separate lines. I need echo output similar to cat. cat /root/shell_script.sh #!/bin/bash var=`cat /root/llll` echo $var (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh cat file output into a file on local computer

Hello, I'm on a remote computer by SSH. How can I get the output of "cat file" into a file on the local computer? I cannot use scp, because it's blocked. something like: ssh root@remote_maschine "cat /file" > /locale_machine/file :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies
EXEC(P) 						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							   EXEC(P)

NAME
exec - execute commands and open, close, or copy file descriptors SYNOPSIS
exec [command [argument ...]] DESCRIPTION
The exec utility shall open, close, and/or copy file descriptors as specified by any redirections as part of the command. If exec is specified without command or arguments, and any file descriptors with numbers greater than 2 are opened with associated redi- rection statements, it is unspecified whether those file descriptors remain open when the shell invokes another utility. Scripts concerned that child shells could misuse open file descriptors can always close them explicitly, as shown in one of the following examples. If exec is specified with command, it shall replace the shell with command without creating a new process. If arguments are specified, they shall be arguments to command. Redirection affects the current shell execution environment. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
See the DESCRIPTION. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
Not used. STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
If command is specified, exec shall not return to the shell; rather, the exit status of the process shall be the exit status of the program implementing command, which overlaid the shell. If command is not found, the exit status shall be 127. If command is found, but it is not an executable utility, the exit status shall be 126. If a redirection error occurs (see Consequences of Shell Errors ), the shell shall exit with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec shall return a zero exit status. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Default. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
Open readfile as file descriptor 3 for reading: exec 3< readfile Open writefile as file descriptor 4 for writing: exec 4> writefile Make file descriptor 5 a copy of file descriptor 0: exec 5<&0 Close file descriptor 3: exec 3<&- Cat the file maggie by replacing the current shell with the cat utility: exec cat maggie RATIONALE
Most historical implementations were not conformant in that: foo=bar exec cmd did not pass foo to cmd. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
Special Built-In Utilities COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 EXEC(P)