Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Clueless re Java: /opt vs. /usr/local Post 302879799 by fpmurphy on Sunday 15th of December 2013 11:46:03 AM
Old 12-15-2013
A word of caution regarding the FHS. It is quite an old document. Many distributions, led by Fedora, are moving away from this standard as far as /usr/bin, /bin, /usr/sbin, /sbin and other OS-specifc directories are concerned.

However the intended purpose for /usr/local and /opt has not changed over the years.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.1, needed by /opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_f90.so, may

hello, i get these warnings on make(ing) /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.1, needed by /opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_f90.so, may conflict with libgfortran.so.3 /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.1, needed by /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux6E/4.3.2/../../../liblapack.a, may conflict with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreekar
1 Replies

2. BSD

configure /usr/local/etc/be-agent.cfg

hi Howto configure Ralus at /usr/local/etc/be-agent.cfg on freeBSD 7.0 for Backup Exec 9.1? I've tried the following: # cat /usr/local/etc/be-agent.cfg name bsd.domain export / as root export /usr as usr export /var as var export /tmp as tmp force_address 10.10.1.50 tell... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Questions about /usr/local/bin & scripts.

Hi gentlemen. For what intended is the directory /usr/local/bin? In this directory are some script. I don't understand how these scripts being in this directory are started. Each time after registration of the user occurs start of these scripts. These scripts start applications. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/local/lib is not searched by ld-linux.so by default?

it seems that /usr/local/lib is not searched by ld-linux.so by default in fedora14. If so, why some software put its lib files in /usr/local/lib? eg: glib and gtk+. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between /opt and /usr/local.

Hello Gurus, Can any one explain me the difference between /opt and /usr/local. When should we use them. Can we link with any directory in windows I mean similarity between unix and windows. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
7 Replies

6. AIX

/usr/local/bin/cvs: Not found

I can able to access /usr/local/bin/cvs in the terminal (AIX 6.1 Box). but i am getting the "/usr/local/bin/cvs: Not found " when i call it from the script. please some one assist me what maybe problem (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hifirockz
6 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local

I was following a tutorial on installing Homebrew and I changed the ownership of /usr/local/ to me. Now McAfee Security won't start This is the exact line I typed: sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local Then I tried to fix it with: sudo chown -R root /usr/local I still can't start mcafee. It say... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chancho
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/local/bin/expr function not working

Legends, I am not able to set "expr" function in ksh script. Below is the sample code i used, and output is as "Syntax error" Please help me to come out of it. OUTPUT (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
9 Replies

9. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Process not running: /opt/java15/jdk/bin/java -classpath /opt/apache/apache-ant-1.7.0-mod/lib/ant-la

Have no idea on what the below error message is: Process not running: /opt/java15/jdk/bin/java -classpath /opt/apache/apache-ant-1.7.0-mod/lib/ant-launcher.jar org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher -buildfile build.xml dist. Any help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
3 Replies
DACS.JAVA(7)						  DACS Miscellaneous Information					      DACS.JAVA(7)

NAME
dacs.java - DACS Java support DESCRIPTION
This document describes support for Java provided by DACS. To enable Java support, DACS must be configured using the --enable-java flag. It may also be necessary to specify the location of the Java commands and include files. See dacs.install(7)[1]. Note Java support is currently very limited and should be considered experimental. It is currently only possible to call dacsauth(1)[2] and dacscheck(1)[3] using the Java Native Interface (JNI) provided. The command line arguments to both of these commands are exactly as documented in their manual pages. Each argument is passed as a String. The code is not thread-safe and is probably not suitable for being called many times within a particular process due to assumptions it makes about dynamic memory allocation. There are no immediate plans to improve or extend Java support. Using the existing capability to build the JNI layer, however, it should not be difficult for an experienced Java programmer to build upon the example Java code provided. With Java support enabled, building DACS will copy the JNI shared library and a .jar file to the library directory (default: /usr/local/dacs/lib), and the JNI include files to the include directory (default: /usr/local/dacs/include). The tools/java/jni distribution directory contains a simple script called javarun that demonstrates how to run dacsauth or dacscheck as a Java application. For example, to validate the Unix password for user somebody, run (as root): ./javarun dacsauth -m unix suff -user somebody -prompt DIAGNOSTICS
The return codes are as documented in the command's manual page. AUTHOR
Distributed Systems Software (www.dss.ca[4]) COPYING
Copyright2003-2012 Distributed Systems Software. See the LICENSE[5] file that accompanies the distribution for licensing information. NOTES
1. dacs.install(7) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacs.install.7.html 2. dacsauth(1) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacsauth.1.html 3. dacscheck(1) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacscheck.1.html 4. www.dss.ca http://www.dss.ca 5. LICENSE http://dacs.dss.ca/man/../misc/LICENSE DACS 1.4.27b 10/22/2012 DACS.JAVA(7)