Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Match strings in 2 different files Post 302879637 by redse171 on Friday 13th of December 2013 12:47:21 PM
Old 12-13-2013
Match strings in 2 different files

Hi,

i am trying to match strings from 2 different files based on position like below:-

file1 (tab delimited)
Code:
f07270 lololol  fff
u12730 gggddd  dddkkrr  mmm

file2 (not tab delimited)
Code:
%f07270 APSLH bl%alalalalallaadsdsfdfdfdgsgfss
%g13450 GDIDFLRIP%ILITEAPPRKgsfgsgsf
%d08880 pve1_%00%39444gsgfsg
ታ0 tog(%s)gsfgfss

file3 (output)
Code:
%f07270 APSLH bl%alalalalallaadsdsfdfdfdgsgfss
ታ0 tog(%s)gsfgfss

the code:
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR{_[substr($0,1,6)]; next}{for(i in _){if(i==substr($0,1,7)){print $0}}}' file1 file2 > file3

am i missing something as i just got blank file for the output?. Kindly help, thanks.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 12-13-2013 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Change QUOTE tags to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex in if-then-else statement to match strings

hello I want to do a pattern match for string in the if statement, but I am not sure how to use regex inside the if statement. I am looking for something like this: if {2,3} ]; then ..... .... ... fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file to match strings

I have a file with the following format 12g data/datasets/cct 8g data/dataset/cct 10 g data/two 5g data/something_different 10g something_different 5g data/two is there a way to loop through this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yawalias
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match strings in two files and compare columns of both

Good Morning, I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to achieve the following, preferably with a little commenting for understanding. I have 2 files, each with multiple rows with multiple columns. I need to find each row where the value in column 1 of file 1 matches column 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarciasMuffin
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep help (match two strings one line)

Hello, Here I have some grep command which is not working correctly: cat file1.txt: apples Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 8:14:06 -0800 peaches melons cherry sky cloud green purple yellow cat file2.txt: apples Date peaches melons 0800 cherry sky cloud green purple black (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: holyearth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning two lines if they both match strings

Hi I have a problem where I have a large amount of files that I need to scan and return a line and its following line, but only when the following line begins with a string. String one - line one must begin with 'Bill' String two - line two must begin with 'Jones'. If these two... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormajormajor
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to match strings and outputing their corresponding values

Hi I will appreciate it if you can help me out. I have a file that contains this data System Load: 3244 card: 1903 CPU: 6% card: 1904 CPU: 6% card: 1905 CPU: 28% card: 1906 CPU: 28% card: 1907 CPU: 36% card: 1908 CPU: 37% I need to manipulate and output this as system_load:3244... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaf3773
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match Strings between two files, print portions of each file together when matched ([g]awk)

I have two files and desire to use the strings from $1 of file 1 (file1.txt) as search criteria to find matches in $2 of file 2 (file2.txt). If matches are found I want to output the entire line of file 2 (file2.txt) followed by fields $2-$11 of file 1 (file1.txt). I can find the matches, I cannot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match patterns between two files and extract certain range of strings

Hi, I need help to match patterns from between two different files and extract region of strings. inputfile1.fa >l-WR24-1:1 GCCGGCGTCGCGGTTGCTCGCGCTCTGGGCGCTGGCGGCTGTGGCTCTACCCGGCTCCGG GGCGGAGGGCGACGGCGGGTGGTGAGCGGCCCGGGAGGGGCCGGGCGGTGGGGTCACGTG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunny_merah19
4 Replies
XmStringTableProposeTablist(library call)								 XmStringTableProposeTablist(library call)

NAME
XmStringTableProposeTablist -- A convenience function that returns a tab list SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmStringTableProposeTablist( XmStringTable strings, Cardinal num_strings, Widget widget, float pad_value, XmOffsetModel offset_model); DESCRIPTION
XmStringTableProposeTablist takes an XmStringTable structure containing tabbed compound strings, information on padding between columns, and rendering information and returns a tab list that, if used to render the strings in the table, would cause the strings to line up in columns with no overlap and with the specified amount of padding between the widest item in each column and the start of the next column. Each tab in the tablist would have the same unit type as units, an offset model of offset_model, and an alignment type of XmALIGN- MENT_BEGINNING. strings Specifies an array of compound strings. num_strings Specifies the number of compound strings in strings. widget Specifies the widget used for deriving any necessary information for creating the rendition. In particular, the XmNunitType of widget will be used to specify the unit type to be used in determining the amount of padding separating columns and for the tabs in the proposed tab list. Also, widget's render table will be used in interpreting rendition tags within the strings. pad_value Specifies the value of the amount of padding to be used to separate columns. The units for this parameter are specified as the XmNunitType set for the widget parameter. Refer to the XmNunitType resource of the XmGadget, XmManager, or XmPrimitive reference page. offset_model Specifies the offset model to be used in creating the tabs. Can be XmABSOLUTE or XmRELATIVE. RETURN
Returns a new XmTabList. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmStringTableProposeTablist(library call)