Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash - Nesting if statement in for loop Post 302879393 by ncwxpanther on Thursday 12th of December 2013 09:10:26 AM
Old 12-12-2013
Bash - Nesting if statement in for loop

I have the basic command written in bash

Code:
 for element in 1 2
   do
    if [[ $element == '1' ]]; then
      set el = "t"
    else
      set el = "p"
    fi
    done

but i get the following error

Code:
syntax error near unexpected token `for'
`   for element in 1 2'

What should i do differently?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement in for loop of a string

I am attempting to pass a string into awk and loop through it, and then for every occurrance of a certain character perform an action. In this case, for example, echo 1 for each time character r is found in the string. Except I can't get it to work. Could someone please tell me why? echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement in a while loop

#!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter while read n do echo $n >> datafile done question: How can I enject an if statement that if the users enter 0 (zero) the program will exit? this is what I have but not working #!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter number while read n do if $n=0 then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Loop in Case Statement script

I am writing a bash script that asks the user for input and I need it to repeat until the user selects quit.. I dont know how to write the loop for it I searched all over but i still do not get it.. if anyone could help with this it would be greatly apprciated here is my script so far: #!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emin_Em
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create a loop in an if statement

Hey guys, a=`cat abc | wc -l` b=`cat def | wc -l` if $a== $b then echo "a" else echo "b" fi I want the if condition to retry itself , untill a==b. I can't use goto statemt. Please help. Thanx in advance. Please use next time code tags for your code and data (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if statement in a for loop?

I need to match multiple values in a single column in a file: example: Source file: abd,123,one def,232,two ghi,987,six Target file: 12345,abcde,123 09876,zxvyr,566 56789,lmnop,232 Variable: var1=`grep 2 sourcefile | awk '{print$1}' essentially, echo "$var1" would read:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopfgeldjagar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop within if statement

Hi, I'm a rookie who is trying to learn this stuff. What I need help with is putting together a non complicated "while" loop within the below "if" statement. I also need the while loop to keep looping until the user types a key to end the loop. Please reveal the proper insertion points. Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jefferj54
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('arevela','alpha'); $lvar = code2langvar('arevela',LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-04-12 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3)