Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find users with root UID or GID or root home Post 302877989 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 4th of December 2013 06:25:49 AM
Old 12-04-2013
Strictly, baduser3 has an invalid home directory. You can always extend the grep to include :/root: too. Have a read of the man page for that.

What have you tried so far with awk or sed?

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setuid Program with (-rwsr-sr-x 1 root other ) UID/EUID issue

Hi, I have a program with the following suid setup -rwsr-sr-x 1 root other 653 Aug 16 17:00 restart_server It basically starts up a service that has to be started by root. I just want the normal users to be able to restart the service using the script above. But when the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
7 Replies

3. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to find users who have sudo permissions for non root?

I want to check if in a host a set of persons have sudo access or not and I dont have root access to the host. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pristine
1 Replies

5. Solaris

what impact root gid changed from other to root is?

> id root 0(root) 1(other) From CIS scanning result"it should make sure the root's gid is equal to 0", so I don't know what's the impact for that change to whole system? BTW, why is there a group named other under solaris? what does group "other" do ? Thanks very much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uid ,gid value change

Present /home/dsadm# id dsadm uid=0(root) gid=0(root) ---------------------------------- needs to be /home/dsadm> id dsadm uid=23186(dsadm) gid=16284(gdstage) Please provide the command/steps for the above uid, gid value change Thanks in advance for all your support . ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

8. Solaris

New root account with Different UID number

Hi Unix Gurus . I have requirement where in which - I would like create duplicate root equivalent account with all the privileges equal to root. Is it possible to create this duplicate account with different UID. ? this id i would like give it to my teams - who does multiple activities using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnavery50
2 Replies

9. AIX

Equivalent uid to root

Hi all I have a strange problem on one my my AIX machines. We have created a user called testroot with the same UID as root (uid=0) by changing the uid of that user in the /etc/passwd file. I know that this is a security breach but this is a test system. Now the strange thing that happens is that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Display info about users (UID GID processes terminal)

I would like to get an opinion for my solution for this task and get feedback about better approach or mistakes I have made. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script which prints information about users whose names are specified in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornfan
2 Replies
SYSUSERS.D(5)							    sysusers.d							     SYSUSERS.D(5)

NAME
sysusers.d - Declarative allocation of system users and groups SYNOPSIS
/etc/sysusers.d/*.conf /run/sysusers.d/*.conf /usr/lib/sysusers.d/*.conf DESCRIPTION
systemd-sysusers uses the files from sysusers.d directory to create system users and groups at package installation or boot time. This tool may be used to allocate system users and groups only, it is not useful for creating non-system (i.e. regular, "human") users and groups, as it accesses /etc/passwd and /etc/group directly, bypassing any more complex user databases, for example any database involving NIS or LDAP. CONFIGURATION DIRECTORIES AND PRECEDENCE
Each configuration file shall be named in the style of package.conf or package-part.conf. The second variant should be used when it is desirable to make it easy to override just this part of configuration. Files in /etc/sysusers.d override files with the same name in /usr/lib/sysusers.d and /run/sysusers.d. Files in /run/sysusers.d override files with the same name in /usr/lib/sysusers.d. Packages should install their configuration files in /usr/lib/sysusers.d. Files in /etc/sysusers.d are reserved for the local administrator, who may use this logic to override the configuration files installed by vendor packages. All configuration files are sorted by their filename in lexicographic order, regardless of which of the directories they reside in. If multiple files specify the same path, the entry in the file with the lexicographically earliest name will be applied. All later entries for the same user and group names will be logged as warnings. If the administrator wants to disable a configuration file supplied by the vendor, the recommended way is to place a symlink to /dev/null in /etc/sysusers.d/ bearing the same filename. CONFIGURATION FILE FORMAT
The file format is one line per user or group containing name, ID, GECOS field description and home directory: #Type Name ID GECOS Home directory u httpd 440 "HTTP User" u authd /usr/bin/authd "Authorization user" g input - - m authd input u root 0 "Superuser" /root Empty lines and lines beginning with the "#" character are ignored, and may be used for commenting. Type The type consists of a single letter. The following line types are understood: u Create a system user and group of the specified name should they not exist yet. The user's primary group will be set to the group bearing the same name. The user's shell will be set to /sbin/nologin, the home directory to the specified home directory, or / if none is given. The account will be created disabled, so that logins are not allowed. g Create a system group of the specified name should it not exist yet. Note that u implicitly create a matching group. The group will be created with no password set. m Add a user to a group. If the user or group do not exist yet, they will be implicitly created. r Add a range of numeric UIDs/GIDs to the pool to allocate new UIDs and GIDs from. If no line of this type is specified, the range of UIDs/GIDs is set to some compiled-in default. Note that both UIDs and GIDs are allocated from the same pool, in order to ensure that users and groups of the same name are likely to carry the same numeric UID and GID. Name The name field specifies the user or group name. The specified name must consist only of the characters a-z, A-Z, 0-9, "_" and "-", except for the first character which must be one of a-z, A-Z or "_" (i.e. numbers and "-" are not permitted as first character). The user/group name must have at least one character, and at most 31. It is strongly recommended to pick user and group names that are unlikely to clash with normal users created by the administrator. A good scheme to guarantee this is by prefixing all system and group names with the underscore, and avoiding too generic names. For m lines, this field should contain the user name to add to a group. For lines of type r, this field should be set to "-". ID For u and g, the numeric 32-bit UID or GID of the user/group. Do not use IDs 65535 or 4294967295, as they have special placeholder meanings. Specify "-" for automatic UID/GID allocation for the user or group. Alternatively, specify an absolute path in the file system. In this case, the UID/GID is read from the path's owner/group. This is useful to create users whose UID/GID match the owners of pre-existing files (such as SUID or SGID binaries). The syntax "uid:gid" is also supported to allow creating user and group pairs with different numeric UID and GID values. The group with the indicated GID must get created explicitly before or it must already exist. For m lines, this field should contain the group name to add to a user to. For lines of type r, this field should be set to a UID/GID range in the format "FROM-TO", where both values are formatted as decimal ASCII numbers. Alternatively, a single UID/GID may be specified formatted as decimal ASCII numbers. GECOS A short, descriptive string for users to be created, enclosed in quotation marks. Note that this field may not contain colons. Only applies to lines of type u and should otherwise be left unset, or be set to "-". Home Directory The home directory for a new system user. If omitted, defaults to the root directory. It is recommended to not unnecessarily specify home directories for system users, unless software strictly requires one to be set. Only applies to lines of type u and should otherwise be left unset, or be set to "-". IDEMPOTENCE
Note that systemd-sysusers will do nothing if the specified users or groups already exist, so normally, there is no reason to override sysusers.d vendor configuration, except to block certain users or groups from being created. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-sysusers(8) systemd 237 SYSUSERS.D(5)